Author Topic: The MURISON family name.  (Read 46679 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The MURISON family name.
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 26 April 12 23:34 BST (UK) »
Well look what I found! I just googled the couple's names & this came up.

http://www.visitkeith.co.uk/assets/files/Burial%20Records/Botriphnie%20Cemetery%20Gravestone%20Inscriptions%281%29.pdf

So very pleased for you! The answers to many questions!
flst
  :D
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Morrison_searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 27 April 12 09:40 BST (UK) »
Well look what I found! I just googled the couple's names & this came up.

http://www.visitkeith.co.uk/assets/files/Burial%20Records/Botriphnie%20Cemetery%20Gravestone%20Inscriptions%281%29.pdf

So very pleased for you! The answers to many questions!
flst
  :D

That answers many questions indeed! Thanks so much.

I've checked for records of John Morrison born 1812 - his gravestone says that he died on 30 December 1878 aged 66 years. The only Morrison born in 1812 that I could find is a Douglas John Morrison. Is it possible that a Douglas John Morrison would be called John Morrison?

This Douglas John Morrison's father was a William Morrison and I've noticed that John Morrison did have a son named William.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 27 April 12 10:50 BST (UK) »
That was a good find , flst

So many deaths in the same family in a short space of time  :'(

John's death cert. should give his parents , given that his death was late in the year it might not have been registered until 1879

John Morrison 1879 death , Keith Moray , born c1813(Scotlandspeople)

ev

Added - looks like John was a mason born Keith Banffshire(1851 Census)
John Morrison born 14th Sept. 1812 Keith Banff , parents Adam Morrison and Jannet Milne  :-\
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 27 April 12 15:42 BST (UK) »

John's death cert. should give his parents , given that his death was late in the year it might not have been registered until 1879

ev

John Morrison born 14th Sept. 1812 Keith Banff , parents Adam Morrison and Jannet Milne  :-\

Thanks ev.

What's quite interesting is that Adam's surname is recorded as both Morrison and Morison. I've managed to trace his father and mother: Walter Morison who married Margaret Rob(b) who married in 1772. They had a few children.

I've tried tracing Walter's parents and decided to use Morison in the search. I've receieved three possibilities: two christenings in Deskford, Banff and one christening in Gamrie, Banff. Interesting note is that the latter only has his father, George Morison, recorded at the christening. Would I be correct in assuming that Gamrie is probably where Walter was born?

I'm thoroughly enjoying this search - uncovering so much!

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 27 April 12 18:19 BST (UK) »
It's never safe to  assume anything in genealogy! It would depend on the father's occupation. Farm servants in particular may have changed their jobs & moved house twice a year.This explains how their children tended to be born in different parishes.On the other hand,in a coastal place like Gamrie, many of it's residents were fisher folk & they'd more likely stay in the same parish.
Not all baptism registers recorded the mother's name.By viewing the actual Old Parish Record & not just the index you may find further information such as address,father's occupation, names of witnesses etc.
Where did you find the information on Adam's parents?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 27 April 12 20:08 BST (UK) »
Found the info on Familysearch.org.

Apologies, "assumption" is a swearword ;-)

Will retrieve the info i found on Adam and post it.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 27 April 12 20:29 BST (UK) »

ev

Thanks ev.

What's quite interesting is that Adam's surname is recorded as both Morrison and Morison. I've managed to trace his father and mother: Walter Morison who married Margaret Rob(b) who married in 1772. They had a few children.

I've tried tracing Walter's parents and decided to use Morison in the search. I've receieved three possibilities: two christenings in Deskford, Banff and one christening in Gamrie, Banff. Interesting note is that the latter only has his father, George Morison, recorded at the christening. Would I be correct in assuming that Gamrie is probably where Walter was born?

I'm thoroughly enjoying this search - uncovering so much!

Walter Morison married Margaret Rob on 09 February 1772 (Boharm, Moray, Scotland).
They had 4 children: Mary (b 23 May 1779), James (b 8 Jan 1778), William (b 20 May 1782) and Adam (b 10 May 1775). All were born in Botriphnie, Banff.

Adam married Jannet Milne on 18 Jan 1806 in Keith, Banff

I'm not 100 % sure that Walter is Adam's father. It was the only record of an Adam born in the same area (Botriphnie) as descendant John Morrison

Online Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 28 April 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you!     flst, Morrison-Searcher, that's the first link I've found between a Morrison and an Innes.   To say Innes is not an uncommon name in that area is a bit like saying you may find a few Jones in Wales, but it's a brillliant starter for 10, and I shall certainly be following it up.

I really appreciate the help, and sorry to butt into your thread.   I did try and look for a birth for the George Morrison on the original enquiry, but drew a blank in OPR, good to see you've moved so far on it.    I'll take a look at what else you have, have another hunt and see if I can contribute anything else in return.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 28 April 12 21:26 BST (UK) »
Morrison-searcher, if you view the opr's in scotlandspeople you should be able to find out the exact details of the information you found on familysearch.There may be many couples with the same names in a parish & by seeing the original entries you should be able to identify your ancestors.
flst