Author Topic: Are these all different parts of Wakefield?  (Read 1795 times)

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Are these all different parts of Wakefield?
« on: Sunday 26 November 06 20:59 GMT (UK) »
I need help with my geography of Wakefield. I keep coming across different names of places. I suspect (hope) that they're all very close together and area all parts of Wakefield, but please can someone confirm, or put me right. My brain is getting tied into knots.

Sometimes I have possible family listed as from Dirtcar, Horbury, Sandall Magna, Crigglestone. How far apart are these places?

thanks
Isobel

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
Re: Are these all different parts of Wakefield?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 November 06 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes except for Dirtcar  - There is a Durkar though.

Find them all on Google Maps - http://maps.google.co.uk/ and calculate distance between.  All probably in a  5 mile radius - but Horbury is on the other side of the river.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline stuizzy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 November 06 23:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Julian. Duh! I didn't even think of Google maps.

What's been confusing me seems to be the interchangeablility (if that's a real word) of some of these places. Sometimes I've seen an address of Dirtcar in Crigglestone, though it could be Dirtcar Rd I suppose. I have also seen that Dirtcar probably became Durkar. Sometimes someone has listed their place of birth as one place one year and another the next time round. Just to confuse my aging brain presumably.

Isobel

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 November 06 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Isobel,

Crigglestone and Durkar are virtually the same place and both in the parish of Sandal (in 1822). Genuki says:

"CRIGGLESTONE, in the parish of Sandal Magna, Agbrigg-division of Agbrigg and Morley, liberty of Wakefield, 4½ miles S. of Wakefield, 6 from Barnsley. Pop. 1,265."

"DURKAR, a hamlet in the township of Crigglestone, and parish of Sandal Magna, manor of Wakefield, 4 miles from Wakefield."

So your ancestors who mysteriously moved between the two were confusingly telling the truth!

Horbury is a bit further north and in the parish of Wakefield.

Jon
Armitage-Smith Meanwood Leeds
Whitehead-Holroyd Farnley/Wortley/Armley Leeds

Census information is Crown Copyright, transcribed by me.