Author Topic: 1871 CROSS in Ross & Crom.  (Read 6475 times)

Offline Tabatha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 CROSS in Ross & Crom.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 January 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Arie - I'm VERY excited at your message.  I'd about given up hope.  I have not done much on my genealogy in over a year due to one dead end after another on all lines.
I will have to get my research cap on and dive into this again.  It's very confusing because of Scottish families having similar names. 
Can u send me documentation or tell me where to go to get the evidence that you have connecting Roderick and his daughter, Isabella to her husband (I did not know if or who she married) 
Nor did I know parents of Anne Rose.  I had a question mark by a Rose McKenzie as being mother of Anne Rose and I got that only from information given by Jamjar (below on this site).  Found no proof and no father so I'm excited that you've given me two names.  How did you find them?? 
I do not belong to Scotlands People because I haven't had time to do this and didn't want to pay until I had time.
I have tried diligently to try to find the parents of Roderick Cross and do have
his death record and something that showed his father as being THOMAS and
mother being Rebecca McLennan but can't find where Thomas came from.  Do you have that information?  There was a Thomas in the Glasgow group of Crosses which are extensive so I wondered if my family of Crosses came originally from Lanark area around Glasgow.  Maybe we can help ea. other -

Offline arie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 January 10 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tabatha

Well our Crosses are very likely related, although perhaps not brothers.  This branch of Crosses was from Easter Ross and moved to Aberdeen.  What I have on Isabella Anne Cross is from the General Register Office for Scotland (I'm from Canada but live in Edinburgh).  She married William Fraser, blacksmith, on 31 Dec 1840 in Aberdeen.  Alexander and William Cross (who are both from my branch of Crosses) were witnesses to her marriage.  I don't have any information as yet on any descendants.

As for the parents of Anne Rose, that was courtesy of Vickie Grant (you can see her post that I replied to here, http://highlandfamilyhistorysociety.org/HFHSQueriesIndex1.htm). 

I haven't come across a Thomas Cross and Rebecca MacLennan yet.  My Alexander and William Cross were sons of William and Anne Cross.  I had wondered if Roderick was their brother because like them, he named his first son William and his second daughter Anne (it was a Scottish custom to name the first son and second daughter after the father's parents and the second son and first daughter after the mother's - you'll notice that Anne's second son is Alexander and first daughter Isabella which seems to confirm the parents' names).  My ancestor Alexander Cross was born 1797 in Dingwall, Ross-shire and moved to Canada.  His brother William was born 1806 and died 3 Feb 1884 in Aberdeen, and married Christian or Christina Ross.

As for the Lanarkshire connection, I had initially wondered the same thing as you but I think there is no connection.  I suspect that most of the Crosses in Ross-shire are descendants of a family that came from Lancashire in England in the early 1600s to work in an iron foundry on Loch Maree in the northwest of Scotland, the first in the UK.

Let me know if you have any other clues... I am also hitting a wall!

Offline Tabatha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 January 10 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Arie, I'm thinking you have GedComon on Family Search.  Your name is so familiar and if so I tried to contact u two yrs ago to no avail. Can u send me personal e-mail so I can give more info. You must be familiar with Richard Shea who also has posted info on that site.  His deceased wife was a Cross from the Aberdeen line whom he said orig. came from Dingwall.  He gave me info on Isabella & Wm. Fraser (Robt.Cross father of Isabella no dates - who is he?). I do have all Rodk's children but not who they married.  I think Vicki Grant's line IS the same as mine.  The death certificate of Roderick shows death recorded Jun 11, 1861 and parents are given as Thomas Cross, miller, and Rebecca McLennan, & age given 69.  He moved from Kiltearn to Alcaig '51-'61. Donald Cross may be half brother as parents are Thomas Cross (Master Miller of Contin) and Anne Tolmie, per Don's death cert. and where do your William and Alex come from??Can u give me parents/more dates etc. I have no siblings for Roderick other than Vickie's info and have too much info yet missing info to make good connections. maybe you have info I need & vice versa.