Author Topic: Whitcraft family of Clontibret  (Read 9718 times)

Offline jimmyue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whitcraft family of Clontibret
« on: Monday 27 November 06 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I descend from the Whitcraft (sometimes spelled Whitcroft) family of the parish of Clontibret, Co. Monaghan.  The family resided there well back into the 1700's.  My ancestors immigrated to Canada in the 1830's and 1840's.  Several branches of the family remained.  Would love to hear from anyone connected to this family either in Ireland or in North America.
Jim McCallum
Fairbrother, Canham, George, Lardner, Littleboy, Thompson, Dawson, Coombs, Appleton, Whitcraft, Newell, Lindsay

Offline EdMcC

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitcraft family of Clontibret
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 June 22 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi - my name is Edmond McClean and I would say that there is a good chance we are connected.

My great grandfather, Andrew McClean b 5 Feb 1856 d 15 Oct 1935 both at Moys (which is beside Clontibret) married married Elizabeth Ann "Annie" Whitcroft b 18 Mar 1867 Bryanlitter, Co, Monaghan, Ireland, d 18 Dec 1901 Moys.

Annie died in childbirth or immediately after the birth of my great uncle Isaac. Andrew and Annie's eldest child was William, my grandfather.

This sad event happened just over 10 years ago, the Whitcrofts now living a very short distance away on the county Armagh (Northern Ireland) side of the border. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13395469

Best wishes.

Ed

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 08:04 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 09:32 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)
Unfortunately the original poster hasn't been online since 2009. If they have the same email address they registered with on Rootschat and still have notifications for replies turned on then they should get an email to tell them of your post.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!