Author Topic: Helen Johnston, Helen Johnston and Helen Johnston.  (Read 6302 times)

Offline plays54

• RootsChat Member
  • ScotlandsPeople www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Johnston, Helen Johnston and Helen Johnston.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Monica,

I did some background research on Luss. The parish covered some 60 square miles along the banks of Loch Lomond but the village of Luss was set off from the main road coming from Dumbarton and running north towards Tarbert. In 1882 the population of the Parish was around 719 so I would imagine the village to be much smaller as photographs show what looks like a two single rows of single story cottages running along both sides of the main street in the village.

The previously unavailable images from GROS were available today.

The young Helen from the 1861 census was born in Luss in November 1860 in Luss Village - no details of father (illegitimate) - mother Helen Johnston, house servant (same as her entry in the 1861 census) - informant of the birth was Mrs Jane Johnston, grandmother.

The 1861 Census for Luss shows a Jane Johnston, age 56, widow of a quarryman (confirms James Johnston death between 1851 census and this 1861 census) living with her son Allan Johnston age 13, agricultural labourer (Allan appeared in the 1851 census age 4 along with sister Helen age 13).

GROS data 1866 death record - Jean Johnston(e)- widow of James Johnston(e)- died September 1866-Village of Luss- parents James Mulholland and Elizabeth McFarlane-died of Asiatic Cholera- death informed by John Luke (?)-uncle.

I am fairly certain that these are the Johnston's from Luss that I am searching for and the for whatever reason the mother's maiden surname is mis-recorded on Helen's marriage and death records.

Regards,
plays54
SMITH - Fife (Cupar, Dairsie, Logie, Leuchars) - Glasgow - NZ (Otega, Balclutha, Palmerston North, Gisborne).
O'BYRNE - Ireland - Glasgow (Partick)
BELL - Ireland - Glasgow (Whiteinch, Partick, Govan) - Australia (Victoria - Carlisle River)(Queensland-Kilcoy)
McCUE - Ireland - Glasgow (Clyde, Clydebank, Duntocher)