Author Topic: Visiting Monaghan Sept.2007 - advice re family research please?  (Read 13196 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Monaghan Sept.2007 - advice re family research please?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 February 07 20:16 GMT (UK) »
From one Elizabeth to another,

You are so lucky to be able to go to County Monaghan, my long lost relatives come from there and I have never been able to find them.

Elizabeth1

Offline elizabeth3

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 February 07 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,  I actually emigrated from Ireland more than 30 years ago and used to spend time there as a child.   Sadly I only began to take an interest in my heritage as a mature aged person, shortly after my mother and all her generation had passed on.   I remember names and places that were mentioned by my parents and grandparents but, as you know, records are very hard to come by, especially from a distance such as Australia.   I am hoping that the Churches and Civil Repositories will have what I need.  I wish you luck with yours and sympathise with your frustration in trying to find your ancestors.   Kind regards, Elizabeth

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 February 07 23:59 GMT (UK) »
So Elizabeth 3,

You are actually coming home to your roots then!!! I hope you have a great time in Monaghan, is it a nice place??

I have family relatives way back from County Down in Ireland too.  Form Newry in County Down, you know as the song goes "Where the Mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea".

Best wishes!

Elizabeth1

Offline elizabeth3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 07 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Elizabeth,  I just happened to be on the computer still when you emailed me again. 

County Monaghan is really just a farming area but I was brought up in the adjoining County of Fermanagh, in Enniskillen (on the River Erne) and that is a pretty place.   The Glens of Antrim, The Ring of Kerry (including The Cliffs of Moher near to Dingle on the West Coast) and the Donegal coasline are all spectacular for scenery and people.   Bangor in County Down is where I used to spend yearly school vacations and it is another eautiful area.   Such a pity that the weather is not as agreeable! <grin>

Must get on now and do some chores, it was lovely to hear from a friendly stranger - thank you and have a lovely week-end.   Kind regards, Elizabeth.   

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 February 07 01:08 GMT (UK) »
I enjoyed chatting with you too, I am in Scotland.

Elizabeth1

Offline wild_thistle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 April 07 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth1 and Elizabeth2,
Firstly to elizabth1.......I am from Scotland too, now living in Australia for the last 15 years. My mothers people all come from Monaghan and I am just venturing out on this path. I have spent the last couple of years going up my fathers side. All hie forebearers came from Harris/Western Isles. Apparently I am 8th generation in from ith Orkneys so i have good old Viking blood in me

Secondly to elizabeth3......As I said to elizabeth1 I am living in Aussie now...Sydney. My mothers people come from Monaghan. Unfortuneately like you I started out on this a bit on the later side. I guess it is an age related thing. The young ppl's are not interested in this lovely hobby. I wish I could get over to ireland.....I used to live in Dublin for a while too. pity I didn't do this then. My mothers name was Kane...her mother was a Murphy.....Do you have these names at all

lovely talking to you both
Keep in touch
Catherine
maclennan harris/ross & cromarty
morrison, macdonald,mackinnon in harris
kane in longford,ireland
murphy

Offline elizabeth3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 April 07 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Catherine,  I am sorry that it has taken me so long to check in and reply to your message.   I do not have your names in my tree but have been having some recent success with my GORDON and SCHOLES ancestors through Ancestry.com.   'Ancestry' has a 'family tree' section and I have found other people with both ancestors on their 'tree.'   These people are in the United States of America and I am finding that a lot of my ancestors' extend families left County Monaghan in the mid 1800's and emigrated there.   It just might be worth your while to consider if this might have happened in your family also.   I wish you lots of luck with your research and I am sure that you will find yourself going back one day soon for a visit.   Kind regards, Elizabeth   

Offline RonnieG

• RootsChat Senior
  • My gr.gr.gr.............gr.grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 April 07 14:36 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth,

"Also book that may help. Tracing Your Irish Ancestors by John Gresham. I've found it a great book."

This book is essential reading for you - and make sure to bring it with you!

It has every address you are likely to need and will give you inspiration.

RonnieG
Dyer - Paignton Devon
Rhodes - Wistow, Yorkshire
Moorman- Isle of Wight
Oliver - Surrey
White & Delaney - Dublin
Acres & Jackson- Tipperary & Offaly
Dowling & Mullane - Limerick
Ryan - Kildare
Heron - Down
Woods - Tipperary

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 April 07 14:49 BST (UK) »
Don't know if there's a newer version of 'Tracing Your Irish Ancestors' but mine is 1992 and some things have changed since then. However, it is very good about showing sources for each county so you know what's available.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!