Author Topic: alice ann fletcher  (Read 8642 times)

Offline sbduk2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
alice ann fletcher
« on: Monday 27 November 06 13:01 GMT (UK) »

hi everyone i have a friend who is trying to find any info about a alice ann fletcher. info below. if any one can help please let us know its very inportant to the family. thanks for all your help.
 my ALICE fletcher was born in salisbury in1889 she brought up a child called stella who is now 86yrs alice married george billen and my aunt stella ( by marriage)always believed them to be her natural parents. stella tried to get a birth cert. not long ago and there is no trace of her being registered under that name .after some reserch it became obvious these were not her parents. she is now frail and worried as to her natural parentage we do not know of any living relatives to ask and we are now clutching at straws. because of stellas age things are now urgent stella married a paratrooper and has now lived in sheffield for manny years she brought her mother up to sheffield and looked after her until she died sadly she took many secrets to the grave with her 
Berkshire,Jennings
warwickshire,gascoigne,Davis.
London,middlesex,Davis,hedges,robinson,ogles.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: alice ann fletcher
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 November 06 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi sbduk2
Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

You may already have searched these avenues:

When did Alice Ann  FLETCHER marry George BILLEN - do you gave their marriage record (was Alice a spinster?)

Where does Aunt Stella believe she was born and in  what month and year?
Under what surnames have you searched for her birth? Does she have any middle names?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline sbduk2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 00:08 GMT (UK) »
stellas given d.o.b. is 14/07/1920. but they doubt its right. im waiting for more info from them. thanks for your interest. the name she thought she was  is stella billen
Berkshire,Jennings

Offline sbduk2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 11:15 GMT (UK) »
i have been in contact with friend and have this additional information, hope it helps you all.
Alice Fletcher married George Billen23/9/1916. Alice was a widow and her previous husband was named Dyer.Aunt Stella believes she was born in Salisbury 14/07/1920.When Stella applied for a birth cert.searches were made by the central office of b.m.d.She eventually had to go to a solicitor and swear on oath that to the information she believed from childhood was correct and she now has an official letter signed and stamped by the solicitor as an official record but no birth cert. can be issued I have also rearched records under the name of Fletcher and Dyer going 5 years either side of her d.o.b. Stella Alice Billen was known to her as her name I cannot thank you enough for your interest and help, stella married herself 1947 To Harry they had no children Kind Reguards Norma.
thank you all.
Berkshire,Jennings

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 11:36 GMT (UK) »

Would it be helpful to approach the education department in the area where Stella started school?

I know that in some places school records can be used to ascertain age for pension entitlement.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 December 06 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sbduk2, Have you considered that Stella could have been a daughter of Alices seven brothers and sisters. They were all born within two years of each other, so would all possibly have been getting married and having children around about the same time period as each other.......... :-\  just  a thought.

cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline sbduk2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 December 06 23:00 GMT (UK) »
how do you know which are alices seven brothers ans sisters. i have looked on the census and there are a few familys from that area with a alice how do you know which is the right one. help. ???
Berkshire,Jennings

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 December 06 23:43 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi....l found Alice age 3 born Box Wiltshire living with Parents and siblings in 1891....here hoping from the names Stella may recognise some of the info. I worked with the Salisbury connection and found that even though Alice seems to marry Herbert Dyer in London in 1909(maybe working as servant) she comes back to Salisbury to marry George Billen.  The only other Alice A Fletcher born similar birth year  is born in Lancs and residing in Lancs in 1891 and another 1889 birth is Alice Mary from Swindon. The only other two are 1881 and 1883 births so little too early?

1891 Corsham Wilts 
    Frank Fletcher    Head  M   30 Platelayer   GWR   Hemmington Somerset
    Emma Fletcher    Wife  M    30                            Wellington  Somerset
    Frank Fletcher        son        4                                 Box Wiltshire
     Alice  Fletcher         dau        3                                  ''        ''
     George Fletcher      dau        1                                  ''        ''

and then found the same family in the 1901 and found all births consistant with Chippenham (registration District) for all children in this family

1901 Priory Road Chippenham RG13 /1918

Frank  Fletcher    Head  M  39     Railway Worker          Somerset
   Emma Fletcher     Wife  M   39                                          ''
   Frank Fletcher       son        15                                          Box
   Alice Fletcher          dau        13                                           ''
   George Fletcher     son         11                                           ''
    William   Fletcher   son          9                                            ''
    Lena Fletcher         dau          7                                            ''
    John Henry            son         5                                             ''
    Annie Arene?          dau         3                                             ''
    Walter Charles Fletcher son    1                                            ''

and here they all  are....

Frank Fletcher  Chippenham  Sep Q 1886  5a  59
    Alice Fletcher    Chippenham  A/M/J 1888  5a 61
     George Fletcher Chippenham Mar Q 1890 5a 69
     William Fletcher Chippenham  J/F/M 1892 5a 74
     Lena Fletcher Chippenham J/F/M 1894 5a 65
     John Henry Fletcher Chippenham  J/A/S  1895 5a 69
      Annie  Irene Fletcher Chippenham J/A/S 1897 5a 63
      Walter Charles Fletcher Chippenham Sep 1899 5a 69

if this is familiar to Stella(and i hope it is the right family) :) I also have marriage details if you do not have already. As you already looked under Fletcher surname for birth of Stella and didnt find one maybe the  2 sisters married and Stella was born in one of those names ? It is a real longshot but you never know, otherwise it could be just a straight case of an  adoption, which is horrible for Stella as you said earlier because all word of mouth info has now been lost :(

Let me know how you get on with this info and if l can help some more l will

very best wishes cheryle.f

mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline sbduk2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 December 06 12:42 GMT (UK) »
ah cheryle. if alice is the one you found born chippingham.
who is this one.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

now with people i have found in the past they dont put their right birth dates down some are way out. could this be the case with our alice. i have asked norma to find out if they have alices birth cert. so we can get her parents names. will have to wait and see. apart from that we will keep looking as time is running out for this lady. thank you for all your help any thing is better than nothing for the family. any help at all. so if you wanna keep looking please do. more the better. we might get it right that way. thanks to you all.
Berkshire,Jennings