Author Topic: Missing GGrandma  (Read 1233 times)

Offline BIGhurst

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing GGrandma
« on: Monday 27 November 06 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Dear All

My GGrandma seems to have gone missing in 1901 census.  Sarah Jane Hupton was alive in 1903 because she had my Grandad then, but she is not at home.  I have looked high & low for her, has anyone any ideas?  She lived in Tyldesley, Lancs but came from Staffs ???

Regards
CAROLE
Latham - Leigh, Lancs
Hupton - Staffordshire, Tyldesley, Atherton, Leigh
Mayer - Newcastle under Lyme
Meredith - Cefn Mawr, Tyldesley, Atherton

Offline BIGhurst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Update on Missing GGrandma
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 November 06 20:08 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if she might be in hospital having another baby, she had 8 that I know of.  Does anyone know how I find patients in a hospital?

Regards
CAROLE
Latham - Leigh, Lancs

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing GGrandma
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 07:49 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I can't see her either - the rest of the family are at home in Tyldesley, but no Sarah....

Patients in hospitals are listed on the census like everyone else, either with their full name, or sometimes just their initials. 

If she was visiting friends/family, her name, age or birthplace may have been badly mangled by the householder, or she may be wrongly listed with the same surname as the family she was visiting.  Have you looked for her under her maiden name?  It's worth checking on other family members (married sisters, etc) in case she's with them under the wrong name.

Not much help, I'm afraid...  ???

Rambler

ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BIGhurst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Rambler.  Beleive me I have tried putting everything in I could think of.  But nothing.  It is very strange, I am wondering if this happened a lot, it's never happened to me with anyone else.  It is very frustrating >:(  I have looked for her before but thought I would have one last try before I give up, thought someone may have had an idea, never mind, I give up :(

Thank you again

Regards
CAROLE
Latham - Leigh, Lancs

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 15:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm missing Granddad and his baby sister in 1891, if it's any consolation - their mother is at the address where the baby was born a few months earlier, listed as single, and no kids....  ::)

They're back with her in 1901, but 1891 is a total mystery!  I think they were probably visiting someone, who has either listed them very badly, or not included them at all because the children didn't usually live there - either he misunderstood the instructions, or had already filled in the form in advance, and it was a last-minute arrangement.

At least it's not a crucial census for going back a generation or whatever, but it's frustrating not to have all the details!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BIGhurst

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 November 06 15:31 GMT (UK) »
If only they knew that a few generations later their ancestors would be looking for them.  It makes you think doesn't it.  I have decided to give up on her now, I have wasted too much time already, I now have to find out when she died ::)

Regards
CAROLE
Latham - Leigh, Lancs