Author Topic: Suspicious death Doncaster 1946  (Read 1547 times)

ruthy

Suspicious death Doncaster 1946
« on: Monday 27 November 06 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking advice on how to gather info on a death in 1946. It has always been said in my family that Ellen Benson was murderd in Doncaster in 1946. Her death certificate puts death at April 1946, and an inquest was held on 2nd May 1946. It was adjourned Dec 24th and a death registered on that same day. Cause of death was put as Status Epilepticus P.M. 
I cannot get info on the inquest until 75 years have elapsed I believe, and I am not sure where to go to find any newspaper entries.

Any ideas gretefully received.

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Suspicious death Doncaster 1946
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 November 06 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Ruthy,

I'm sure there will have been a local Doncaster paper (the Doncaster Gazette?), but in addition it might be worth looking at the Sheffield Star and the Evening Post, Leeds (both evening papers).

In addition, there were two daily papers which would circulate in the area, the Sheffield Telegraph and The Yorkshire Post.

Since you know the date(s) of the inquest, it might be worth ringing the Doncaster library and asking them to look in the bound volumes. They are certain to have copies of at least some of these newspapers for the relevant date.

Jon
Armitage-Smith Meanwood Leeds
Whitehead-Holroyd Farnley/Wortley/Armley Leeds

Census information is Crown Copyright, transcribed by me.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 November 06 22:37 GMT (UK) »
'Status epilepticus (SE) refers to a life threatening condition in which the brain is in a state of persistent seizure. Definitions vary, but traditionally it is defined as one continuous seizure or recurrent seizures without regaining consciousness between seizures for greater than 30 minutes. Many doctors, however, believe that 5 minutes is sufficient to damage neurons and that seizures are unlikely to self-terminate by that time.

In known epileptics, this condition is associated with poor compliance (adherence to medication regimen), alcohol withdrawal, and metabolic disturbances. As a primary presentation it normally indicates a tumour or abscess.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_epilepticus

The inquest verdict after a post mortem would therefore appear to be death by natural causes?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ruthy

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the help with this - I will call the Doncaster Library and look into the papers you mentioned.  It is also very interesting about the SE information. I will check the death certificate to see if there is anything on there mentioning death by natural causes. This seems the most likely outcome.

Thanks again.

Offline Rossolad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Doncaster had the following in 1946, Doncaster Chronicle, Doncaster Gazette were weeklies, Evening Post and Evening News were dailies and the Free Press was a weekly mainly a lot of advertising.   Most of these are in the library probably on microfiche.

Rossolad
Hoggart - Bilsdale, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Doncaster.
Tyas - South Kirkby, Hooton Pagnell, Conisbrough.
Spencer - Chesterfield, Doncaster.
Bell - Carlisle - Sunderland.
Lowe - Chesterfield
Chaney - Middlesbrough
Barker - Middlesbrough

ruthy

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 18:29 GMT (UK) »
A big thankyou - I will be well on my way with this now.

Ruthy