Author Topic: HELP WITH JOB DESCRIPTIONS  (Read 1493 times)

Offline lanarkshire lassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HELP WITH JOB DESCRIPTIONS
« on: Monday 27 November 06 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to locate the marriage of my husband's great grandparents.Unfortunately I cannot make out what their jobs were. It looks like PRINTFIELD worker and labourer respectively. They were married in Lennoxtown on 31st December 1891. Could this have been a local job as they both lived locally.? If you have an idea, please let me know.

Thankyou
Gail
McBride/Steele/McMaster/Tweed -County Antrim
Morrison-Lanarkshire/Edinburgh/Doune/Bo'ness
Coventry- Coatbridge/old monkland/ Kilmacolm/Port Glasgow/Ireland
Wylie- County Armagh/ Old Monkland.
Pender- Old Monkland.
Stirling- Old Monkland.

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HELP WITH JOB DESCRIPTIONS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 19:37 GMT (UK) »
lanarkshire lassie -

Could you put a copy of the marriage cert on the thread so we could have a go at it? Thanks.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline DuncanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi LL,

I'd guess these would have been local jobs. There were bleachfields and calico printfields in Lennoxtown. You could do a search for 'Lennoxtown' and 'printfields' or 'bleachfields' and get more info on these occupations and locations.

Good Luck

Duncan

Offline lanarkshire lassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 November 06 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou yn9man and Duncan for your replies.I did a google search and found a page for"Scottish Occupational Titles and Meanings". A printfield worker is described as "a millworker who printed cloth with dyes and inks".I will look into the Lennoxtown Calico link.
Incidentally, I do not know how to add marriage details, as I am new to the whole computer/internet thing. Thanks anyway.
Gail
McBride/Steele/McMaster/Tweed -County Antrim
Morrison-Lanarkshire/Edinburgh/Doune/Bo'ness
Coventry- Coatbridge/old monkland/ Kilmacolm/Port Glasgow/Ireland
Wylie- County Armagh/ Old Monkland.
Pender- Old Monkland.
Stirling- Old Monkland.

Offline DuncanM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 November 06 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi LL,

if you have an image of the certificate on your computer you should be able to post it. when you click on reply at the bottom it gives you an option to add photograph or image, if it's in your computer, click browse and hopefully you should be able to find it and post the image with your reply.

good luck

Duncan

Thankyou yn9man and Duncan for your replies.I did a google search and found a page for"Scottish Occupational Titles and Meanings". A printfield worker is described as "a millworker who printed cloth with dyes and inks".I will look into the Lennoxtown Calico link.
Incidentally, I do not know how to add marriage details, as I am new to the whole computer/internet thing. Thanks anyway.
Gail

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 November 06 17:34 GMT (UK) »
lanarkshire lassie -

Best of luck with your research.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 November 06 17:38 GMT (UK) »
I think the main printing works was known locally as 'Crum Land'.

Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke