Author Topic: Joseph Lamont, Minister  (Read 4313 times)

Offline martha mildred

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Lamont, Minister
« on: Monday 27 November 06 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi list anyone have a link to Joseph Lamont son of Angus Lamont  and Margaret Cameron  ? he was the free church Minister for Snizort  for quite a while not a lot known , uncle to husbands grand father his sister Mary Lamont /marr Hugh mcfarlane Assynt.
Joseph was born Loch broom  and his mum appears to have lost her life at this birth  which was about 1840.....
 I know he married a Christina Mc Lennan of Roos n Crom  would love too know more....
thanks MM
Abbott Rhyl and above<br />Lee  Havant  POrtmouth<br />Charman Send n Ripley Surey<br />Carson Co Tyrone <br />Anderson Tyrone <br />osburne  Tyrone <br />Pattison Tyrone<br />Dunn Co Down <br />Mc Meekan Co DOWN <br />Aiken Co Down <br />Hagan Co DOWN <br />Lennox Derry

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Lamont, Minister
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martha Mildred

I don't have a connection to this family, but I do have a book of monumental inscriptions for Wester Ross. Not sure if you've seen this already - according to this book, Margaret Cameron (wife of Angus Lamont) and Mary Lamont are buried in Badenscallie Burial Ground near Achiltibuie.

The first gravestone is for Margaret Cameron (it says her husband Angus Lamont is a teacher at Altandow) who died on the 30th August 1840.

The second stone is for Mary Lamont (her husband is given as Hugh Macfarlane of Strathan, Assynt) who died 24th November 1865 aged 34 and her children Angus Lamont and Mary Angus Lamont who died in infancy.

Hope this is of some help!
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline martha mildred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 06 19:23 GMT (UK) »
;D
Thanks very much Lynne.
I knew when  they died but not were buried so much appreciated thanks very much .
The Baby  for Mary MC Farlane was 10days old  was her mothers last child  she had died just after her birth  so sad ,
Hugh MC Farlane was at Sea at the time what a home coming it must have been for him ......
He retired from the sea and was living in Assynt 81 census, with his brother John  who seemed to be the second mate with Hugh the Captain ..
John Later Died of Tb 1890.
On Alexanders Hugh's son, his occupation is drover, so maybe he took up cattle fetching I have no further sign of him after the 81 census.
Many thanks again for the help you are all so kind.
MM
Abbott Rhyl and above<br />Lee  Havant  POrtmouth<br />Charman Send n Ripley Surey<br />Carson Co Tyrone <br />Anderson Tyrone <br />osburne  Tyrone <br />Pattison Tyrone<br />Dunn Co Down <br />Mc Meekan Co DOWN <br />Aiken Co Down <br />Hagan Co DOWN <br />Lennox Derry

Offline martha mildred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 December 06 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Soory I should have said MARY MCFARLANE was Mary Lamont  who marriad Hugh Mc Farlane son of John Mc Farlane annd Effy Black of Iona..
Thanks for patience (Old age galloping in ) :(

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I share common ancestors with Christina MacLennan, Joseph Lamont's wife. She is a descendant of the Kinlochewe MacLennans (mostly sheep farmers), daughter of:

Murdo MacLennan, b c1799 d 13 DEC 1860 in Inveran, Gairloch.
Grace MacDonald, b c1814 d 21 JAN 1885 in Kinlochewe Hotel, Gairloch.

The couple married 11 AUG 1847 in Applecross and appear in the 1851 census with 2 daughters (Isabella and Christina) in Heights of Kinlochewe.

Murdo MacLennan is son of:

John MacLennan, died 1817.
Isabella McGregor, b c1760 Gairloch d 26 MAR 1855 Kinlochewe Heights.

As for Grace MacDonald, I haven't completed my research, but she is from Applecross, daughter of Donald MacDonald and Catherine MacLennan. She had at least one brother, Lachlan (b c1835 d 27 JAN 1878 in Kinlochewe Hotel); he was an hotel-keeper.

Best regards,
Francisco
MacLennan/Gairloch
McKay/Descendants of the Blind Piper
Jackson, Strong & Chambers/Northumberland
Mills, Cameron/Falkland Islands
Larsen/Denmark
Larrosa/Argentina & Uruguay

Offline Sandile

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 June 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Martha Mildred

I don't have a connection to this family, but I do have a book of monumental inscriptions for Wester Ross. Not sure if you've seen this already - according to this book, Margaret Cameron (wife of Angus Lamont) and Mary Lamont are buried in Badenscallie Burial Ground near Achiltibuie.

The first gravestone is for Margaret Cameron (it says her husband Angus Lamont is a teacher at Altandow) who died on the 30th August 1840.

The second stone is for Mary Lamont (her husband is given as Hugh Macfarlane of Strathan, Assynt) who died 24th November 1865 aged 34 and her children Angus Lamont and Mary Angus Lamont who died in infancy.

Hope this is of some help!
Lynn