Author Topic: What is PLU School??  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
What is PLU School??
« on: Tuesday 28 November 06 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fellow Rootschatters,

I know the Rootschatters are clever lot!  ;D

Could someone kindly enlighten me what PLU school was (or is it still in use)?

I found this listing in Guy's Directory from 1893 on Co. Clare--to my surprise, the names are belonged to my mum's family.

I do not know what is a true difference between a National school and a PLU school?

If I were to guess, PLU stands for Poor Law Union? Correct?

The reason I said this is that on the censuses I have and the listed persons stated that they were National School teachers.

Would appreciate any further information on this subject.

Kind regards

Tees

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What is PLU School??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Tees:
I think you are correct about the connection with the Public Law Union. There were "Model Schools" set up in 1846 to provide training for new teachers.
"MODEL SCHOOLS: Established in 1846 as part of the training system for teachers, the model schools were administered directly by the Commissioners for National Education. Selected traineeswere supervised in their teaching of 100 pupils for six months in each district model school. Each was intended to produce six male and two female teachers annually, who would then take a two-yeartraining course before qualifying."

This apparently did not sit well with some since the schools were under the direct control of the Commissioners for National Education unlike the National Schools some of which were managed by clerics.

http://www.sag.org.au/aisnltrs/AISN0114.pdf

Hope this helps.

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland