Author Topic: Deaths abroad  (Read 1035 times)

Offline littlej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Deaths abroad
« on: Tuesday 28 November 06 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm not exactly a beginner at this, but something which happened recently has got me thinking.
While on holiday in Lanzarote a few weeks ago, my daughter's father -in-law died. His death will be registered in Spain, and presumably with the British Consulate there, but how will anyone in the future know that he died abroad? Are these deaths recorded anywhere in this country?because if not, there is nothing but family anecdotal evidence.   Jac
PEAKE & DAVENPORT (Devonport), Altrincham, Cheshire
MURRAY, Altrincham, Cheshire,  Aston, Staffs & North Meols, Lancs
LITTLE,  Kirkpatrick Juxta, Dumfriesshire & Gloucestershire
WILSON,  Malton, N. Yorks
HENDERSON, somewhere in Scotland (early days yet)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths abroad
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jac, sorry to hear that.

The death should appear in the GRO overseas deaths section.

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline littlej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 21:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kev, I thought there ought to be some record in this country somewhere!

Jac

Offline BearPear

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 December 06 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Co-incidentally we have experienced a similar event, my husband's aunt recently died on holiday in India. As next-of-kin he has been sorting everything out and this question did enter my mind.

There is no requirement for us to register her death with anyone here as it has been recorded in India. We have received probate and as far as I know that is the only "official" record of her death. Would the GRO liase with the Probate office??
Jowett, Moore, Davison, Stubbs, Brelsford, Topham, Calvert, Denton

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bearpear, sorry for the loss of your husband's Aunt

I'm  almost certain (please correct me if I wrong anyone) -  you  must register the death with the authorities of that country, ie abide by their laws. In addition to this ,(which is not compulsory- this is if you just wish to register it with the British too),you can also register the death with the British consulate/Embassy and you will receive a British death cert too .

Perhaps the Indian authorities informed the British consulate in India?, If not , and you want your husband's aunt registered with the British GRO so that you can obtain a British issued death cert etc - there is the address of the foreign and Commonwealth office that may be useful for you in the below link. It is not a requirement to register the death with the British, it is optional.

The ones which are registered with the British consulate in that country of death,  I would assume are the ones that you will find in the overseas death indexes with the GRO. The ones which aren't registered with the British , I doubt that they will be in the British overseas death indexes.

Certain countries you can not register a death with the British consulate and receive a British death cert  (it tends to be some (not all!)  of the commonwealth countries - I do not know about India, you  will need to check with the foreign and commonwealth office . I know that Australia (where I'm currently living) is one such country that you can't register with the Brit's - same goes for the births here too (I couldn't register my child who was born here  with the Brit consulate) , unless you're armed forces, gov etc

Here's a list of some them: quote  " There are certain countries where a death cannot be registered with the British authorities. There is a high standard of civil registration in these countries, some of which are listed below;

Ascension Is.
Australia
Nevis
St.Helena
South Africa
Turks and Cacos Is.
Virgin Is (UK)
Zimbabwe
Bermuda
Canada
Caymen Is.
Christmas Is.
Falkland Is.
Gibraltar "

http://www.rootschat.com/links/011g/

Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline littlej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cell,

I'm glad to know that, I was there with them in the Canaries when my daughter's father-in-law died, and I
know that the British Consulate were involved immediately. We received the Spanish certificate from them eventually, so I guess that the death was registered there at the time.
Thanks for the info

Jac