Author Topic: riccartsbar hospital, paisley  (Read 9830 times)

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: riccartsbar hospital, paisley
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 December 06 13:23 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much ann for all your help

joe
helping wherever possible

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 December 06 19:27 GMT (UK) »
If you go to
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
and look at grid reference

You'll see the Lunatic Asylum and poor house buildings facing out onto Craw Road .. much of this was demolished some of it to become the Craw Road annexe to the RAH and some to become the Ambulance HQ.

However the reputation of the buildings lived on even in to the 1990's as I remember dealing with one old woman who needed to go to hospital and when she thought it might be the annex buildings she became quite hysterical. Apparently the belief was that once inside those buildings the only way out was to be carried feet first (ie in a coffin)

Offline cuthie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 December 06 19:44 GMT (UK) »
This is how I remember it Falkryn.   To even contemplate going into the Poor House was really enough to make folk hysterical as you say.

Cuthie  :)

Offline runningbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 December 06 20:18 GMT (UK) »
thank you both and thank you for the link falkyrn
helping wherever possible

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 December 06 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Falkryn

Quite so - was a scary place./ I can remember when i was wee and being a pain my mother saying she'd end up there if I didn't behave.

Update - the ENT place at top of Craw Road is no more. Spoke with mum tonight. is all gone and new houses!

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline kim826

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 June 11 01:45 BST (UK) »
What about around 1910?  Was Riccartsbar Hospital strictly a psychiatriac hospital then?

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 June 11 01:52 BST (UK) »
Yes Kim it was.

Best Wishes

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Rhyleysgranny

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Runningbear
This is an old thread and I’m not sure if this is of interest but I was brought up in Riccartsbar lodge at the gates of Riccartsbar hospital. It would have been around the 1950s. It was on Corsebar road not Craw Road. It did back onto Craw Road though. I lived there for a couple of years as a baby.
I hope this helps.  :)

Correction - It didn’t back onto Craw Road. It backed on to Victoria Road. Sorry. I’m ready for the nursing home I think  ;D