Author Topic: 1871 Census - Frederick Ellerton - COMPLETED WITH VERY MANY THANKS TO JOE  (Read 15561 times)

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census - Frederick Ellerton - COMPLETED WITH VERY MANY THANKS TO JOE
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 October 10 22:51 BST (UK) »
I didn't see your post before, but probably have a lot of info I could give you on those families.  I've noticed some spelling errors coming up as I read through the thread.  Frederic Ellerton was spelt without a K on the end.  It was Souttergate, not as listed, I think Southgate or some such thing.

There is probably some missing info I could supply, as I've been researching the Ellertons for some time - my husband's family - and these are his direct ancestors.  Bob has a lot of it on his website, but I have a lot more in my files.

Cheers,
Diane

Offline peter e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 April 11 17:48 BST (UK) »
William and Margarets surname is Ellerton...Wilson is Williams middle name.

Joe

Hi I have looked at the parish registers for Danby Wiske and also the IGI for Yorkshire and Wilson Ellerton is his birth name not William Wilson Ellerton. I think he added on the name William for whatever reason.

Peter

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 May 11 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter

It's amazing how they used to change their names in years gone by!  I did find Wilson Ellerton's christening on the IGI but not of course a William Wilson Ellerton but thank you for confirming the name.  I have an ancestor whose name on her birth certificate is Judith but she married as a Julia and on censuses she is Julia, but then again this is the Irish side of my family!

Thank you again for checking Wilson's details.

Kind regards.

Zephyr
Census information is Crown Copyright from nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
1 – Frederic Thomas Ellerton spelled his name without a –k- on the end.  I have his birth certificate.

2 – He married Sarah Acey in 1867 and they had two girls, Anne Elizabeth and Alice M.

3 – Sarah died in 1870.  He then married Fanny Ellen Gibson in 1872 and they had 9 children.

4 – The first child, Albert, born in 1872, only lived just over 3 months, dying early in 1873.

5 – The 2nd child, Robert Gibson Ellerton, is my husband’s grandfather.  He became a sub-postmaster in Hedon, near Hull.  I have a complete list of the children and dates with at least reference to quarter/year, although I have not bought all the relevant certificates.

6 – In trade directories, Frederic was listed in the 1891 census as a cordwainer; Bullmer’s 1892 under boot and shoe makers; in Kelly’s 1897, shoe maker and refreshment rooms; 1901 census, cordwainer; Kelly’s 1909, shoemaker & refreshment rooms; MacDonald’s 1921, newsagent; Kelly’s 1922, bootmaker.

7 – Fanny Ellen is also listed in Kelly’s 1922, confr [confectioner].

8 - Fanny Ellen died 8 Feb 1926: Frederic died 11 Nov 1925; they are buried in the private graveyard at the small RC church at Marton, which was part of the Burton Constable estate where Frederic’s father worked for many years.  Their graves are unmarked, but they are in the register of the church at Marton and their records which were copied into the Hedon RC records.

9 – Frederic’s father William Wilson Ellerton was probably always intended to be named William Wilson, not just Wilson.  Parish clerks often didn’t include the entire name the parents wanted, and as they were only temporarily resident at Danby Wiske, they were not as well known there.  If WW had been baptised at Catterick, where his 2 older siblings were baptised, he’d probably have received his full name!  The name probably came from his paternal grandfather, as his mother’s maiden name was Ann Wilson.

10 – William Wilson Ellerton dropped his surname when riding as a jockey and was known only as William Wilson.  He rode in the 1847 Grand National – the horse was False Heir – and in several other races.  He was a whipper-in to the hounds at Burton Constable for most of his career, although he spent a short time with the Holderness Hunt at Etton, when Frederic was born, and also worked for Lord Milton at Milton Hall near Peterborough, where he is found on the 1851 census.  He would have been working with the Fitzwilliam Hunt at that time.  He had previously worked for Lord Elcho at Gosford House, near Edinburgh, in E. Lothian.

11 – WW Ellerton gave a full-page interview to the Hull News of 1897, telling of his experiences over his entire lifetime.  I have checked out all of his names, dates, places, and compared them with where he is located on the census and employee records and found his account to be very factual and complete.  It is unusual to find such a complete biography for a person who was basically born into poverty.  The only untruth I found in the account is that he says his father died when he was young.  He was not dead, in fact, but it appears that he deserted the family.

12 – If you find another William Wilson Ellerton, be careful of the dates and places.  Another with the same name was a nephew of the first, the son of WW’s older sibling Benjamin.  He was also in equestrian occupations.

13 – William Wilson Ellerton to a great extent incorporated names into his family which had not been used before, the primary source of these names being the Clifford Constable family at Burton Constable.  Frederic, Thomas, and Augustus are examples of these names.  Some of this family were sponsors of the Ellertons for baptisms.

14 – William Wilson Ellerton and his wife, Margaret Towl, are buried at St. Augustine’s, Hedon.  She died in 1897, he in 1899.

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Frederic Ellerton & Fanny Ellen Gibson
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 14:48 BST (UK) »
PS  I forgot to mention.  If you're the person who's working on the Gibsons, I'd like to compare notes, as I don't have that line back very far!

Diane

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 15 May 11 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Deller

Many thanks for information on the Ellertons.  I am researching the Gibson line (my husband's).  I will send you a PM and you can let me know what info you require.

I have got as far back as Robert Gibson who married Jane Jewison/Jewson in 1796.

Regards.

Zephyr

Offline peter e

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi i'm glad you got sorted re Wilson Ellerton sometimes calling himself William Wilson Ellerton. I suspect the William came in during one of the census returns by error which sometimes happened when another member of the family gave details when the actual person was away from home. Are you a desendent from the mail line or female line? Danby Wiske is a very small hamlet and today it probably comprises of about 50 houses in those days of Wilson it probably had i estimate about 12 houses. It is interesting that Frederick? was a shoemaker as that trade ran in the family at that time my relatives in Danby Wiske were shoemakers also. If anything else i can help with drop me a line.

peter

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census - Frederic Ellerton - COMPLETED WITH VERY MANY THANKS TO JOE
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 30 June 11 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Peter

I eventually sent for a copy of Frederic and Fanny's marriage certificate.  They married on 13 July 1872 at St Stephen's Church, Hull.  Frederic Thomas is aged 26 Widower, occupation Cordwainer.  Father = William Wilson Ellerton = Grocer?  (It's not a very good copy - I can hardly read some of it).  Fanny Ellen Gibson was aged 23 Spinster.  Father George Gibson = Cordwainer.  Frederic and Fanny both give same address at time of marriage = (looks like) 4 Ebenezer Place, Spencer St.  Witnesses were William Hayton and Sarah Y??? Hayton.

I am researching the Gibson line (my husband's side of the family).  The Gibsons were from Market Weighton and before that Hedon.  Quite a few of them were Cordwainers or Saddlers.

Many thanks for all your help.

With best wishes.

Zephyr
 :D

Offline deller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage - Frederick Ellerton's father
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 30 June 11 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Zephyr,
That will be "groom" rather than "grocer" for William Wilson Ellerton on Frederic and Fanny Ellen's marriage certificate.  He was a jockey, groom, and huntsman [3rd whipper-in to the foxhounds at Burton Constable for many years].  He was with the Holderness Hunt at Etton, however, when Frederic was born.

Frederic and Fanny Ellen's first child, Albert, was born 18 Oct 1972, only 3 months after the marriage, so this seems to have been a bit of a shotgun wedding.  I wondered if the child was actually his or if it was a marriage of convenience.  At any rate, the boy only lived for 14 weeks and was buried 28 Jan 1873.  They did go on to have at least 8 other children.  The last, Alban, is rumoured to have committed suicide, but I have no details.

Many thanks for the certificate information.  I couldn't afford to buy all the certificates with regard to this family.

Diane