Author Topic: Wood Family Congleton 1901  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Wood Family Congleton 1901
« on: Tuesday 28 November 06 10:38 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking to identify a Wood family in Congleton on the 1901 Census.
Ernest Wood MM and James Wood are on the War Memorial there. They had a brother called Dennis.

TIA
Gwil

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Family Congleton 1901
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 11:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A few questions for you.
Do you have any approximate ages? 
Have you checked on the CWGC site to see whether their parents are named ? 
Do you have knowledge that these three people are actually brothers, or are you making an assumption based on their birthplace?
Do you know that all three would have been born prior to 1901?

I am able to find a Dennis who had a brother James and I am able to find a couple of Ernests, but neither of them had brothers James and Dennis.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary
Thanks for answering.

Yes I do know that they are three brothers. I suppose that I was hoping that all three would have been together.
There are too many on SDGW ( 960 J Wood and 340 E Wood) to positively identify and I cannot see any Congleton addresses. :(

I'll see if I can find a bit more.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 15:03 GMT (UK) »
See if you can find out a birthdate for one of them, meantime if you search the 1881 census at www.familysearch.org for a Dennis Wood with keyword Congleton you should only find one and you will notice that he had a brother James too.  See if you can match these up for age as I can follow Dennis through to 1901 although he is boarding in other places in later years, not with family.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Mary

Thanks for that.
I'll go and see if I can find a bit more about them and come to you if I can.

Gwil

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Wood Brothers at Congleton
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 November 06 21:57 GMT (UK) »
I had a thread going in the Lookup section re this but I can't access it now as a pop up prevents me from doing anything in that section.  :(

Anyway, Mary , if you read this I can say now that I have positively identified (on a WW1 Forum/CWGC)Ernest Wood as being 2nd Air Mechanic Ernest Wood MM who died 6 /4/17 aged 25 years.
A poster there kindly provided details of 1901 at 80 Astbury Street, Congleton for Ernest which looks promising even though James is not on it.The father on that one, George T Wood, is on the 1881 you pointed me towards in the 1881 at No 7 Astbury. If you're able to look up the 1891 for Astbury Street (both Numbers)I would be grateful as James might be there and I could then have an age that may help in finding him on CWGC or at least narrow it down some.I could also of course proceed to go further back in the research

My mate has since told me that Dennis, his grandad, may not be a brother but a nephew of the two casualties! Dennis had a brother called George and two sisters one of whom he thinks was Catherine.

TIA
Gwil

TOPICS MERGED BY MODERATOR

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 14:22 GMT (UK) »
(Thank you Moderator - Arranroots?)

OK here goes, and in case you are wondering why I'm listing all census entries, it's because if others look at this thread then they will have the continuity of seeing it all.

So long as you are positive that your Ernest was 25 in 1917 then it does match the birthdate of this one

1901 - all born Congleton, Cheshire
80 Astbury Street, St James, Congleton, Cheshire
George T Wood Head M 37 Silk Dresser
Harriet Wife M 35
Esther daur 15 Silk Picker
Elizabeth daur 11
Ruth daur 5
Hannah M daur 3
George E Son 2
William H son 1
Ernest Son 9
RG13/ 3349; Folio: 83; Page: 22

1891 All born Congleton, Cheshire
103 Canal Street, Congleton
George T Wood Head M 28 Silk Dresser
Harriett Wife M 25
Esther daur 5
Harriet A daur 3
Elizabeth daur 1
RG12/ 2844; Folio 137; Page 18

Making the assumption here, not necessarily based on address, but on name and birthdate, confirmation by means of the father's name and occupation on the marriage certificate is needed.
1881 All born Congleton
7 Astbury Street, Congleton,  Cheshire
William Henry Wood Head M 40 General Labourer
Harriet Wife M 37
George Thos Son Un 16 Silk Filler
James Son 14 "
William Henry Son 10 Scholar
Dennis Son 8 "
Margaret Lucy daur 6 "
Joseph Dale Son 3
Richard Son 1 Baby
RG11/ 3534; Folio: 90; Page: 3

No sign of a brother James for young Ernest, he could of course have been born after 1901. 

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 14:38 GMT (UK) »
1871 all born Congleton, Cheshire
23 Stonehouse Green, Congleton
William H Wood Head M 29 Silk Spinner
Harriet Wife M 27 Housekeeper
George T Wood Son 7 Scholar
James Son 5 "
William H Wood Son 2 months
RG10/ 3704; Folio: 75; Page: 22

If I have followed this family correctly, depending on the marriage cert. mentioned above, this would be as far as I would be able to go until you confirm the father's of William and Harriet, again by means of their marriage certificate, as there are a number of possible William Woods in 1861.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Wood Brothers at Congleton
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 14:40 GMT (UK) »
My mate has since told me that Dennis, his grandad, may not be a brother but a nephew of the two casualties! Dennis had a brother called George and two sisters one of whom he thinks was Catherine.
TOPICS MERGED BY MODERATOR

If this is the case, a nephew may well not have been born before 1901.  A date of birth should be ascertained before following up on Dennis.