Author Topic: DAWE - Richard, Alfred John, Tom - N.Skelton, Yks  (Read 6560 times)

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
DAWE - Richard, Alfred John, Tom - N.Skelton, Yks
« on: Sunday 19 September 04 22:28 BST (UK) »
My GGGF, Richard DAWE moved his family to North Skelton, Yorkshire between Jan. 1872 and June 1874.  These are the date the last child was born in Cornwall (my GGF) and the date the next child was born in Yorkshire.  Richard was a miner in Cornwall, but is listed as a butcher in the 1891 UK census.   I believe I saw that he was also a carter at some point.

Other family members also moved there, including Richard's father-in-law, William LEMING (Richard's wife was Jane LEMING) who lived with Richard and Jane in both Cornwall and Yorkshire, and Richard's father, James DAWE who died in Guisborough (after 1881).  Also, his mother, Johanna/Joanna (maiden name BAWDEN) who died about 1878 in Guisborough.   

My GGF, Alfred John, was married to Hannah Ranson in N. Skelton.  They had at least three children, including Tom, Percy Ranson, and Margaret.  Another family member (related to Hannah Ranson) shows three more - Mabel, Stella, and Frank).  They were born in 1891, 1894, and 1895 according to Eugenie.   I don't know that these last three children lived long -- they did not emigrate with the rest of the family.

All or most of Alfred John and Hannah's family emigrated to Canada.  Margaret stayed in Toronto, Canada and Percy moved to Michigan.  He may have gone to Canada first.  Tom returned to England (I believe) to get his bride, Emily Jackson, from Leeds.  Her younger sister, Elizabeth, may have traveled with them or followed later.   

I hope someone will be able to add to what I have found.  I would especially like to know more of their lives in N. Skelton and Yorkshire.  Also when any of the family members might have emigrated originally to Canada.  Thanks, RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline neil.s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DAWE - Richard, Alfred John, Tom
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 04 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Redfox

Please as usual consider everything I say as suspect and check everything

Its seems that we are researching at least in part the same line, James Dawe was I believe my GGGGF, his daughter Jane Dawe (The second of two, one having died very young) married John Harris my GGGF.

I am not sure I can add much at the moment since my researches have been more in the Harris line than Dawe or Bawden.  I guess you have found the family group containing James Dawe in 1881 RG11/4838 living in Brotton in what is now Cleveland but would have been Yorkshire. In this group are John Harris and my GGF Thomas H(enry). Thomas was born in Cornwall 1873/4 and the next child in Skelton in 1876/7 so maybe they followed James or maybe they went together, we will probably never know.

It would seem that they probably moved here because the Cornish Mining industry was largely in decline at this time and a large Iron Stone mining industry was opening up in this area. If you what i descibe as walk the streets ie go household to household you will find a large number of Cornish families in this area. I know that this group were in Burnley Lancashire in 1891 working in the Coal Mines and living in an area called "Little Cornwall" which clearly had many Cornish families also. James is not in this group so maybe he is dead. (This schedule is on the linkinhorne site under strays buy is badly mis-transcribed Thomas is completely missed and some horrendous assumptions have been made).

I guess also you have found James in 1871 at www.mytrees.com where you can also see Jane Harris nee Dawe in Linkinhorne. John Harris is not here so maybe he was already working "away" somewhere

Regarding Benjamin Bawden, there is an IGI for a Marriage to Elizabeth Wilton , this as an LDS member IGI rather than an "official" one and many people regard these are suspect; date 1794 there is Benjamin born to Benjamin & Elizabeth in 1797 and these two Benjamins + Elizabeth can be found in the 1841 census on FreeCEN. 

At http://www.jearnshaw.me.uk/sue/1466.htm you can see more precise details for the bawden/wilton marriage.

My guess is that Benjamin 1897 and Johanna are brother and sister, Johanna is already married to James Dawe in 1840 and they also findable at FreeCEN.

Hope some of this helps , good luck in your researches and i hope we can help each other. Anything you want to clarify then just ask

Kind regard
Neil

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 04 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Neil.  Without checking my records, much of what you say rings true. 

I do have Jane Bawden's parents as Benjamin Bawden and Elizabeth, but had no last name.  I took the father's name from the Lynher Parish list for a great deal of my data about the DAWE line.   

I may print off your message so I can check it against my info.   I do recall someone sending me info on Jane Harris marrying ? Harris; James Dawe is also shown as a step-father, but thought they might mean father-in-law.  Think it was a UK census record - 1881?   Since all the persons were born in Cornwall, the rest fits.  I assume Jane Bawden Harris is the sister to Richard Bawden Dawe.  James and Johanna gave many of their children 'BAWDEN' as a middle name.  Richard Dawe and Jane Leming are my great, great, grandparents.  So James and Johanna were my great, great, great, grandparents.  My Dad's grandfather, Albert John Dawe was born in Camelford, Cornwall.  His father, Tom Dawe, and mother, Emily G. Jackson was both born in Yorkshire.  I do have some UK census records showing both those families in Yorkshire.  The one showing Jane and John Harris with James is the only one I have for James.   Think I may have a death registration for Johanna.  My original record for her is spelled Joanna; I also have Jeanne.   Can't verify it, but think James father was Walter.  Several women qualify as the mother.  One of the more likely is a widow, Jane Reyner (sp?).  David Dawe was in Cornwall, but has moved to the midlands, can't recall the shire.    He sent me a portion of the DAWE database he has for Linkinhorne.  That's were Richard was born and married to Jane Leming.   Jane's father lived with the family in Cornwall and Yorkshire. 

I came to the same conclusion, that the families moved to Yorkshire because of the decline in mining in Cornwall.  Have tried to trace their trail with no luck, so will look at that info you have in more detail. 

I know the last child born in Cornwall was my great, grandfather in 1872.  The next child was born in N. Skelton, Yorkshire in 1874 as were two sons and a daughter after that. 

Sounds like you might be right about our relation to James Dawe.  You through his daughter, Jane, and me through his son, Richard.  So that makes us cousins?     ttfy, RedFox, Saginaw, MI
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
DAWE - N. Skelton, Yks
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 November 04 06:51 GMT (UK) »
Not sure which Riding N. Skelton is in.  Thought it was near York. 

My grandfather, TOM DAWE, was born there in 1890.  His father, Albert John DAWE, (GGF) came to Yorkshire from Cornwall with his family when he was about nine, 1872 - 1876.   AJ DAWE's father was Richard Bawden DAWE, and his father was James Dawe.   They all came to Yorkshire.

I have found some records showing all of them at different places and times.  Albert John DAWE married Hannah Ranson when he was 19 (1891 UK census).  Richard and family show up in the 1881 census in North Skelton.  I found James DAWE living with his daughter, Jane, and her husband further north. 

Still not found are the dates of deaths of Richard Dawe, wife Jane Leming Dawe,  James Dawe, wife Joanna Bawden Dawe, and William Leming, Richard's father-in-law.  I know AJ, wife Hannah, Tom, his fiancee, Emily, and others emigrated to Ont. Canada about the turn of century.  About 1911, some before.  Tom and Emily were married in Canada in June 1911.

I have heard from one distant relation regarding Hannah and AJ.  Would love to hear from anyone who has any knowledge of the family.  Emily and her sister, Margaret, had a brother, James Arthur who stayed in Yorkshire.  Would love to learn what happened to him.  Thanks, RedFox

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: DAWE - N. Skelton, Yks
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 04 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Redfox

Are you talking about the North Skelton near Middlesbrough?

See below

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=467634&y=518408&z=3&sv=north+skelton&st=3&tl=North+Skelton,+Redcar+&+Cleveland+[Town]&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.srf

If this is the one then it would be more relevant to the North Riding board as Middlesbrough was formerly a registration district in that area.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: DAWE - N. Skelton, Yks
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 November 04 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Ticker.  Quite frankly, I'm not sure which N. Skelton.  I've found about five or more Skelton's on GENUKI. 

I know that Richard B. Dawe settled his family in N. Skelton and that some of his later children were born there.  His father, James, lived with Richard's sister, Jane, and her second husband; the FamilySearch record states the area was (Dwelling) 76 Jackson St  (Census Place) Brotton, York, England.  In that record, one of the children was born in Skelton, York; the rest were born in Cornwall.  The family came from Cornwall.  The areas mentioned in the 1881 census record listing James are the correct ones for this family.

James wife, Joanna, allegedly died in the same area.  One of the listers who sent me further info stated, "have just noticed that Guisborough also covers Brotton,  which is where James DAWE in the 1881 census is living".  Along with Brotton, Guisborough also included RedCar and Skelton.  So I think you may be right about the area being in North Riding.  Thanks, again.  I've had a great deal of trouble keeping it straight although it's been explained to me before.   RedFox

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 November 04 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, neil.s.  Just re-reading our messages.  Yes, I recall that James and Joanna had two daughters named Jane.  One born in 1843 who didn't live and one born in 1849.  I assume she married in Cornwall, her husband died and she married John Harris.  I think the 1881 record said he was born in Cornwall also as were a number of their children.

I mis-spoke.  I believe Richard took the family to Yorkshire between 1872 and 1874 (not 1876).  Don't know if they all went at once or not.  I believe some of the records show many of them to be ironstone miners -- some underground.   

Glad I re-read the messages.  Had forgotten where I learned Elizabeth's last name.  Did find Walter Dawe, James Dawe, and Richard Dawe's marriages listed on Cornish Marriages - the info meshed with what I have.

I have the father, Benjamin, born about 1781; evidently I may have been wrong.  1781 doesn't fit with your info or the LynherParishes-St. Ive list.  I didn't know there was a son named Benjamin.  I didn't find a son named Benjamin in the list below.  I had taken my other info (as I did much of it) from the Lynher Parishes list for Linkinhorne.  Will check the Cornish Marriages list for Benjamin Bawden and John Harris also.  Had tried to find it under the women's names, but the lists are alphabetical by Groom.

I stopped to check on Lynher Parishes - St. Ive and found the marriage and nine children:  Births at St. Ive's Church   
1795   Richard son of Benjamin & Elizabeth BAWDEN 18th January
1803   Thomas son of Benjamin & Elizabeth BOWDEN 26th June
1805   Jane daughter of  Benjamin & Elizabeth BOWDEN 22nd September
1807   Maria daughter of  Benjamin & Elizabeth BAWDEN 11th October
1809   James son of Benjamin & Elizabeth BAWDEN 5th November
1811   Susanna daughter of  Benjamin & Elizabeth BAWDEN 20th October
1814    20-Feb, Ann, Benjamin & Elizabeth, BAWDEN, In the Parish,   
1816   21-Apr, John, Benjamin & Elizabeth, BAWDEN, In the Parish,   Labourer
1821   11-Mar, George son of, Benjamin & Elizabeth, BAWDEN, Redwood,   Labourer Husbandman
I also checked MyTrees for the 1871 census and found Jane Harris and her oldest son.  Also checked Cornish Marriages, but they are all 19th Century.  Did find three Groom's named John Harris with a Bride of Jane.  But not knowing the name of her first husband not sure which one it is.   Thanks for steering me in some other directions.  RedFox

Offline neil.s

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DAWE - Richard, Alfred John, Tom - N.Skelton, Yks
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 November 04 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi redfox

Why do you believe Jane had a previous husband? I don't believe this to be true, I did originally believe that because James was listed as step father in 1881 but i have sinced discovered that this was often used in the 19th century for father in law.

You might also make contact with this person who is clearly more closely related to you than me

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p=localities.britisles.england.con.general&m=2011.1

Be careful of the Benjamin/Benjamin i could be wrong but in this Benjamin senior is stated as age 70 since ages are rounded down to nearest 5 this gives a birth date range of 1767 to 1771, might be the wong age of course, who knows.

I believe its Skelton near Middlesborough, because of Brotton , in what will now be Cleveland but was then North Riding of Yorkshire.

Regards
Neil

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: DAWE - Richard, Alfred John, Tom - N.Skelton, Yks
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 November 04 09:54 GMT (UK) »
neil.s,   There's a reason that person is related - it's  me.  I posted that message over a year ago.  Now you know my handle AND my name.  Thank  you for bringing to my attention.  Not until I finished reading it did I realize what it was.  So even I didn't know at first; not surprising as I wrote it when I first started my online research.  DAWE was the first name I worked on.  Now I've come full circle and am working on it again. 

I have been in touch with Joany regarding Benjamin Bawden.  We have some parallel ancestors.  She's descended from one of Benjamin's brothers.  Now in New Zealand.  It's Benjamin's daughter, Joanna, who married my DAWE.  Through her, I've been able to learn more about the BAWDEN line.  This was the Cornwall segment of their life.  One reason I love genealogy is all the learning.  Thanks, again, neil.s.