Author Topic: DAWE - Richard, Alfred John, Tom - N.Skelton, Yks  (Read 6559 times)

Offline mikeguess

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DAWE - Richard, Alfred John, Tom - N.Skelton, Yks
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 November 04 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Just to add my bit  ;) if he was a miner then it's North Skelton between Brotton and Skelton.  I have seen quite a lot in transcriptions the word "York" and the transcriber thinks it is the city when it is more likely the county ! ( Yorkshire shortened to York or Yorks )

All of East Cleveland was covered by the registration district of Guisborough , so if you see guisborough in transcribed records then it could be in any of the East Cleveland villages not just the town of Guisborough.

there is a good site for the actual records of this area at

www.teesvalley-indexes.co.uk

it is an index that allows you to obtain copies from the register office.
Spenceley , anywhere

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
Re: DAWE - Richard, Alfred John, Tom - N.Skelton, Yks
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 November 04 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, mikeguess.  That's the area I'm trying to check.  I've been wondering about finding records from all the different locales.  But recall that several of them have listed Guisborough.   I'm not very knowledgeable concerning the geography of Yorkshire compared to Cornwall and Cumberland.  Even Sussex seems less complicated.  At least, I've had less trouble learning the areas of Cornwall and Cumberland where my ancestors lived.   I'll add your bit to my  FTM, Notes section, so I can refer to it often.  RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz