Author Topic: British Colombia  (Read 1911 times)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
British Colombia
« on: Wednesday 29 November 06 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Dear Rootschatters,
Are there any online resources for researching families in British Colombia? I have just discovered I have relatives in Cranbrook B.C. and would like to research them. They are called 'Pippen' and emigrated there in the 1920's.
Thanks for any help.
Kind Regards
Nooshie
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: British Colombia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Nooshie,
 I have had a lot of help from Canadian rootschat members,this is one BC site,sorry I can't do urls,"BC archives".
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have just found two relatives in the deaths section of the BMD, but the years are limited,so I can't find all of the people I am researching.
I am looking for: Clifford Pippen b c 1930, his sister Rosalie Elena bc1929,(I have found that tragically another sister died aged 17,Laura)and Florence Pippen.b c 1932. Their parents were Lionel George Pippen, b 1899 died 1969 and Eliza Humphreys. They married in British Columbia in 1925 in Cranbrook.
Lionel was born in Curry Rivel,Somerset. Lionel is our cousin.
Any help would be great,
Kind Regards
Nooshie

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 19:01 GMT (UK) »
You said in your post that you had found the death of two of the family so I assume that this is the one you didn't mention:  Lionel George Pippen died July 24, 1969 age 70.  Oops I see you had it.

I tried a telephone directory for Cranbrook and came up totally empty so I then searched for living relatives in all of B. C.  I assume both girls married and that is why I found nothing under their maiden names.  The search still came up empty until I checked for "All Provinces". 

This search popped up just one C. Pippen (correct first name not given for privacy reasons) for all of Canada, living in Alberta.  No address given only a phone number which I will P.M. you as I believe this could be your guy or a son of his given his age.  Pippen doesn't appear to be a common name in Western Canada.

You could just hang on to the phone number until we have had a chance to look a bit more for the girls and we are a bit more sure he is the right C. Pippen

dollylee

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks so much. I replied to your private message before I read this post,so I now realise you are unable to give an address. However, it is still exciting. Mr. Pippen and us share the same great grandma, Elena West, who came from Somerset. I would be far too nervous to just ring him up though!!.
Thanks again for your help,
Kind Regards,
Nooshie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 November 06 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nooshie

Here are some links to try

Cranbrook Genealogy Group
http://www.rootsweb.com/~bccgig/

British Columbia Archives
http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/index.htm

Cranbrook Public Library
http://www.cranbrookpubliclibrary.ca/init_reso.html

Kootenay Country Genealogy
http://www.rootsweb.com/~bckooten/

Maple Ridge Cemetery
Fraser Valley, British Columbia, Canada

http://www.interment.net/data/canada/bc/fraser/mapleridge/maple%5Feg.htm

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline dollylee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 November 06 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nooshie W:

I totally understand your hesitation about making a "cold" call to someone you think may be a relative.  Not everyone is into genealogy nor understands how we can already feel like family to someone we don't even know.

This type of call often doesn't go all that well, but occasionally you will find that they are very receptive to talking to and getting to know you.

I just sent you the phone number so that you would have it if we are unable to come up with an address and you got to the point where you felt you wanted to try everything you could to make contact.

In many ways it is harder to find current information on people.  But don't give up there are so many helpful people on Rootschat I am sure someone will come up with something.

dollylee

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 November 06 15:59 GMT (UK) »
One daughter...Perhaps you can contact them to find out more...J.J.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/je.sandham/DaveSh.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline AnneMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 November 06 17:30 GMT (UK) »
good morning:

I live 1 1/2 hours away from Cranbrook, B.c.  I go to the family history center there... Not sure when I will be going again now that winter is here I don;t like driving on the winter roads...

But would be happy do to do some looking up for you the next time I am in Cranbrook.

Anne
Yorkshire - Thompson. Savage, Morris, Richardson, Frankish, Mintoft, Myers, Barker, Hotchkiss
Shropshire - Hotchkiss
Derbyshire - Hardwick, Barker, Marples
Lancashire - Winstanley, Morton