Author Topic: 71, 81 and 91 help pls!!!  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great Grandpa William Hillman
    • View Profile
71, 81 and 91 help pls!!!
« on: Wednesday 29 November 06 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Help!

I am trying to find ROSA BESSIE CHAMP b 1869 Downton, Wilts She married in Barton Regis 1892 To a William Henry Jackson. I have found on the 91 and a Charles and Louisa Champ in Henbury, Glouc but the age doesn't fit for Rosa.

Many thanks,

Penninah
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: 71, 81 and 91 help pls!!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Charles and Louisa have a daughter Betsy (birthplace Redlynch?) age 2 in 1871
RG10/1949 48 18

Can't seem to find a better match. You don't have the marriage cert, do you?
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh thankyou

On the 91 Rosa was down as 17, thats what threw me, must have been a 12!

Thanks again

Penninah
Doling- Middlesex/London +Hants, Morgan- London/Middlesex +Glouc, Vincent- London/Middlesex, Wambach (+Hamburg & Suffolk), Wadley & Wilkins.<br /><br />NORTHUMBERLAND; English, Huggup & Webster.<br />HANTS; Heath<br /><br />Any census info is crown copywright

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 19:35 GMT (UK) »
They completely elude me in 1881   :P   :P

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 November 06 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Ive tried everything on the 81, they just aren't there!!!

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 November 06 11:15 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Penninah, I,m not sure so maybe Tati could lend some superior knowledge but l would think that this would be  Betsy  from the 71

Rosie Bessie Champ Sep 1869 Alderbury Sep 5a 177

and..Charles Champ  m  Louisa Light  A/M/J Alderbury 1861 5a 339

the Rose that is in the 1891 states born Shirehampton? the same as her brother Charles W Champ (not that l can find either of them ). The Selina that is shown in the 1871 is actually...
                 Sabina Champ 1865 Mar Alderbury 5a 191
 I checked last night birth dates either side of of Charles and Rose's given ages but if this was Rose she is 5 years older than she really was. It definately says 17. I didnt check that far back.It would seem a little strange that a wood sawyer from Redlynch( all my family are from that tiny hamlet) would collect all those small children up and go abroad. If Charles and Rose were born in Shirehampton?,  Louisa was still living in Shirehampton in 1901 so it's probable that they didnt go very far from there. Last night l tried to find Shirehampton in 1881.
On a website describing people who had been born there in the 1880's the reference came up as RG11 2899 but tried as l may i still couldnt find it. I read of course the info about boundry changes etc.  so checked all neighbouring villages, still nothing :'( I am leaning to the fact that they are in Shirehampton but it is a part of the census that is missing. What do you think Tati ???
I did find this........... Shirehampton

The increase of population in 1871 is chiefly due to the temporary presence of Labourers employed in constructing  the new docks at the mouth of the Avon.

I was having a little scout round as l was puzzled to why Charles was crossed through on the 71 census so maybe he was working.

regards cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 November 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryle  :)

Superior knowledge, ROFL - something I must put on my Christmas list  ;D

I have searched for Shirehampton in 1881 as well and it seems to me that it comes under Westbury on Trym. Seems to be a village rather than a civil parish. I can't find a list of missing 1881 census pages.
Then again, if  Rosa age 17 in 1891 IS Betsy age 2 in 1871, then perhaps other details could be slightly wrong too  ::)  ;D 

Sigh ... am getting nowhere  :P

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 November 06 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Oops - I wonder about this Smith family ...
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1881&indiv=try&h=6107386

In which case it's back to square one, I suppose. They have a daughter Bessie age 12 plus a daughter Rose age 7  :-\

I'm afraid of no ghost

Offline Penninah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 November 06 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Oh god! Now i am totally confused!

I have looked again at all champ births in Alderbury and the names and ages of the Smith children all match apart from the last 2, i have found a Rose Smith birth Alderbury but it seems to late in 1875 and then a Charles Smith birth in 1876 which might fit! It must be them, if so why the name change!!!! Very odd if so. On the 91 there is only Rosa Bessie and Charles W with Louisa and Charles Champ!!!! Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???