Author Topic: Question about searching naval records at National Archives  (Read 826 times)

Offline Allybee1062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Question about searching naval records at National Archives
« on: Wednesday 29 November 06 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm after some advice on getting a service record for an officer in the Royal Navy from the National Archives.  I have downloaded his service record for the time up to when he became an officer but now wish to get his officer's record.  I'm in Australia but I have a cousin who is able to go to Kew for me and I need to give him some instructions as to what to do when he gets there.

Did they keep the same service number when they became officers?  The man in question joined the Navy in 1889 as a Boy and in 1896 there is a note at the bottom of the record that says "NP1387/96 Promoted to Act Gunner from 15.6.96"  In the Discharged column it says "Officer's Section".   Does anybody know what information I will need to give my cousin in order for him to be able to go to Kew and get a copy of the record?  Is it free?  I've read the research guides but to be honest, I think I'm more confused now than I was before! :) I understand there is a Navy List in the reading room or something?

Sorry to be a nuisance.  Any pointers will be gratefully received.

Also, a little off this topic, the man I am looking for is named Malcolm McKenzie.  Family stories say he invented some form of Gun mounting bracket or something that enabled the gunners sight to stay constant on the target instead of moving around?  If anyone knows of this device or a website where I may find something about it, I would be grateful.  I've googled "gun sight" and a few other variations but have come up with blanks.

Alison
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER, TILLETT, SMITH, THEOBALD, ANDREWS, NAUNTON, UNDERWOOD - Suffolk
LISH, HARMAN, HARLAND, LELLIOTT, WOOLGAR, WOOLVEN, FAIRS - Sussex
McGEE/MAGEE, LISH, WITHERS, PITMAN - London
WITHERS - London, Gloucestershire
PITMAN - London, Kent
ATTRILL, BOURNE - Isle of Wight
CADWALLADER - Wales
KNIGHT - Northamptonshire
O'LEARY - Ireland
BEGGS, BANDEAN, BROWN, SCOTT, DEWAR, RICHARDSON, RAMSAY - Scotland