Author Topic: The DUFF family name.  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Chris Duff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The DUFF family name.
« on: Tuesday 16 November 04 00:07 GMT (UK) »
According to my father and his brother, both now deceased, their father Charles James DUFF was born in or around Lisdoonvarna in 1864.  He had two step-sisters, Agnes, who died in London (I don't know when) and Kate, who married Francis Fahy the poet/balladeer and founder of the Gaelic League.  Kate and Francis had four sons, Connor, Dermot and the other two we don't know the names.

I have searched the census records available on the Internet and can't find a DUFF anywhere in the region of and surrounding Lisdoonvarna.  Does anyone out there share the name DUFF from the west of Ireland?
Chris
Researching Blackhall, Cox, Duff, Farlow, Hallifax, Herdman, McCrae, Morison, Murison

Offline ONEILL

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my "profile" yet
    • View Profile
Re: The DUFF family name.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 January 05 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
We have Duff friends here in Australia. They have connections to Ireland but I believe they are mainly from Scotland.
Regards ONEILL

Offline L23

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 05 19:31 BST (UK) »
I have came across the following on my search for my McInerney ancestors.  You may already have, but hope it is of some use.  Good luck with your search  :)

Clare 1901 Census - Ennistimon Town: Bogberry Street

Duff Michael Head of Family 62 Shoemaker Widower

Duff Denis Son 23 Male Farm Servant Not Married

Duff Kate Daughter 19 Female Domestic Servant Not Married

Duff Patrick Son 17 Male Shoemaker Not Married

There are Duff's on the CBS Ennistymon School Register.
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/ennistymon_cbs/d_e.htm

I have came across these in various directories.  There may be connection with your Duffs and Limerick, although I could not see any on the Limerick City Census 1901

Clare Lisdoonvarna Guys Directory 1893 - Miss Duff - Grocers

Limerick City Bassett Directory 1877 - Duff Sarah Kate - Academies & Schools - Nicholas Street

Limerick City Slater Directory 1870 - Duff Susan - Shopkeepers - Nicholas Street

Offline L23

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 July 05 17:56 BST (UK) »
This webpage could be useful..

Sir James Duff Military Commander in Limerick in 18th century

http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/m/macduff2.html

Also have the following ... Peter Duff m. Hanneh Russell at St Johns Church in Limerick City in c1750.  They had at least 2 children Peter & Charles.

Hope this is of use