Author Topic: My grandfather, Leinster Regiment, India  (Read 1292 times)

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
My grandfather, Leinster Regiment, India
« on: Thursday 30 November 06 23:02 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather, John Arthur Shaw (aka James Aloysius Smith) joined up with the 1st Battalion, Prince of Wales Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians) in London in 1900.

Despite a colourful army and civilian history, my grandfather was still with the Leinsters in 1911, when he was posted to India with his wife and young children.  In 1912, his 3rd son, Leonard Winston, was born in Ranikhet Station Hospital.  My grandfather's unit was based at 'Chaubatia, Bareilly'.  I know that this location is in the foothills of the Himalayas.

Does anyone know what the army were doing in this location at this time?

Clara  :)
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: My grandfather, Leinster Regiment, India
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 December 06 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Answering my own question, I've found out via googling over the past few days (I was always a lazy googler...) that in the India 'of the Raj', the British used the foothills of the Himalayas as 'nice, cool places to retire to in the hot season'. 

The British established 'hill stations' as such places (eg Ranikhet) and, presumably, my grandfather's regiment was there to ensure that the local residents (the poor locals) were whipped into shape to provide labour, service, etc.....

I want to find out more about this.... it's intriguing (to me!).  If anyone knows anymore, or knows of any publications...?

Clara
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex