Author Topic: POWELL family Wem. Anybody help?  (Read 3556 times)

Offline gazzatrone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
POWELL family Wem. Anybody help?
« on: Friday 01 December 06 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Forum

I'm looking for some help in tracing my ancestors as it appears I have a missing Mother. (not me my ancestor that is).

From what I have cobbled together from FreeBMD census records and familysearch.org the family history appears thus.

Joseph Powell b.1756 Stanton Upon Hine Heath, Shrop. Married Margaret Killan (LDS)
    Children known - Joseph Powell b.1780 Stanton Upon Hine Heath, Shrop (LDS
He married Elizabeth Barker 26 may 1806 Stanton Upon Hine Heath, Shrop
    Children known - Thomas Powell b.1816 Stanton Upon Hine Heath, Shrop (1841 Census)
                                Joseph Powell b.1816 Stanton Upon Hine Heath, Shrop  (1841 Census)

Now here is where I have a problem. My ancestor is Thomas Powell, and according to later census records 1851 he has a son George Powell.

Joseph Powell - Head - abt 1871 - Farmer of 13 acres - cant make out where born
Elizth Powell - Wife - abt 1871 - Farmers wife - Shrop, Uffington
Sash Powell - Son - abt 1813 - Ag Lab - Shrop, Stanton
Thomas Powell -  Son - abt 1816 - Ag Lab - Shrop, Stanton
George Powell - Grandson - abt 1842 - Ar Homes??? (can't make the prof. out) - Wem, Shrop

George appears to be the only child of Thomas, which is where the missing mother comes in as my deductive reasoning has failed me on this one, as no mother appears in the 1851 census. Because of this I am at a loss.

The History of George Powell is this should it help

George Powell married Ann Simons b. abt 1845 Erbistock, Denbigh, Wales in 1863.
Children known with my ancestor in Bold Caps
    Maria P - 1869 - Wrexham, Denbigh, Wales
    Margaret P - 1871 - Wrexham, Denbigh, Wales
    SARAH P - 1874 - MARCHWEIL, DENBIGH, WALES
    John P - 1877 - Marchweil, Denbigh, Wales
    Sally Ann P - 1880 - Baschurch, Denbigh, Wales

It seems that the Powell family were in and out of Union Workhouses as this family record was taken from the 1881 census and shows them as  inmates in the Atcham Union Workhouse.

Sarah Powell then went on to marry in 1895 John Henry Williams b.1874 Mold, Flint, Wales
Children known with my ancestor in Bold Caps
    Hugh Jones W - 1896 - Mold, Flint, Wales
    Lillian W - 1897 - Mold, Flint, Wales
    ETHEL W - 1901 - Mold, Flint, Wales

If anyone could help tracing the missing mother or even extending the family which I already have then I would be so grateful.

I am a Shropshire lad but now live in London, so researching from here is a little difficult.

- Gareth
ENGLAND

BEDFORDSHIRE: Bland
BUCKS: Brown, Bryant,  George, Hiams, Morris, Reynolds, Smith
CHESHIRE: Barker, Didsbury, Griffith, Pickering
KENT: Coveney, French, Mercer
NORTHANTS: Brown, Bryant, Gibbard, Hiams, Spence
SHROPSHIRE: Barker, Killan, Powell
STAFFORDSHIRE: Connor

WALES

DENBIGH: Jones, Simons, vaughan, Williams
CAERNARVONSHIRE: Parry
FLINT: Barlow, Evans, Owens, Parry, Williams,

REP. IRELAND

MAYO: McGurn
ROSCOMMON: Connor

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: POWELL family Wem. Anybody help?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 06 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gareth,

Are you sure that George is Thomas's son - as both Thomas & Sash are down as single!?
I presume you have found on IGI the birth of George to Margaret Powel in 1842 in Wem (is this a single mother?) - have you a daughter for Joseph by this name?

I also presume you have found the 3 George Powells in Wem on BMD 1841/2 - what you could do is get in touch with Shropshire register office and asked them to send the one with a father of Thomas (if there is one!!) - local offices are good that way.

If all else fails I will get to Wem in the next few weeks - I presume they have parish records - but it's back to the original question is Thomas the father.

Have you found them together in later census records?

P.S. just to save confusion for others - alter the dates of birth for Joseph & Elizabeth!! ;)

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline jessie m

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 December 06 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gareth.

Joseph & Elizabeth Powell married in 1806. Joseph was born at Stanton upon Hine Heath and Elizabeth Barker was born Uffington, they lived at Wytherford Parva Shawbury I think their grandson George was the son of of one of their other children not Thomas Powell. They had John c. 1807, Richard c.1809, Margaret c.1811, Joseph c.1813, Jane c. 1818, Mary c.1822 and Thomas was either born 1816 or 1821 or at least he was Christened 1821.

Joseph & Elizabeth are my G.G.G.Parents. 

I can post more info in a p.m. if you need it.

Regards
Lyn.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline musictrish

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 December 06 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
According to the IGI there was a George Powell born Wem 29th Jan. 1842

Parents
Margaret Powell

Could this be yours ?

musictrish

Offline jessie m

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 December 06 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gareth.

I forgot to say that the Sash born 1813 under close studying is in fact Joseph though at first it is a job to tell, but if you compare the letters with the way his father Joseph is written you will see it, see if you agree.

I also think Musictrish is right with the George Powell b. Wem with mother Margaret Powell.

Regards
Lyn.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gazzatrone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 December 06 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your help its much appreciated. Now though it seems I have a missing father instead of a mother. A case of one door opening another one closing I think.

It seems I was under the presumption presuming that Thomas was the father as on Ancestry.com on the 1851 census it states that Thomas is the Father on the web page report. Probably assumed by the person who transcribed the original. I think this is the same report theat mentions the SASH, and I agree with you there Lyn

I had seen the IGI for Margaret Powell but dismissed it, being as its spelt POWEL, and no mention in any of the census records, plus the forementioned census report has probably thrown me off.

As for the other Georges born around that time, I have investigated into them, but they seem to be established with families that contradict George's family members at a later period. But i'm no professional so agan I admit I could be barking up the wrong tree.

Your invitation Lyn for more information would be gratefully received just to confirm either way whether or not the George I think I'm a descendant of really is the case.

Likewise with Keith if you do find anything I will be gratefuuly thankful.

Once again thank you all who havetried to shine a light

Gareth

ENGLAND

BEDFORDSHIRE: Bland
BUCKS: Brown, Bryant,  George, Hiams, Morris, Reynolds, Smith
CHESHIRE: Barker, Didsbury, Griffith, Pickering
KENT: Coveney, French, Mercer
NORTHANTS: Brown, Bryant, Gibbard, Hiams, Spence
SHROPSHIRE: Barker, Killan, Powell
STAFFORDSHIRE: Connor

WALES

DENBIGH: Jones, Simons, vaughan, Williams