Author Topic: Uniform unknown  (Read 1613 times)

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uniform unknown
« on: Friday 01 December 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Would someone be able to tell me what uniform Malcolm Smith would be wearing please. The photo has a Sydney  (Australia) studio on the bottom. I believe Malcolm came to Australia around 1883 but do not know where he came from maybe Scotland.
Thanks for your help
Mariac

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Uniform unknown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 06 13:00 GMT (UK) »
going by the collar dogs, and if this was a british army regiment, it could be royal engineers or royal artillary as both these regiments sported the flaming bomb style of badge on their collars.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 December 06 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Mariac,
Is there any chance of a zoom in/higher resolution scan of the medal he's wearing?

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 December 06 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.
 Iam not real sure of what Iam doing but will have a go and see if I can scan it in a higher resolution. Might take me a while to figure it out. Iam am a bit of a dummy with this sort of thing.
Were the British Troops still here in mid to late 80's?
Thanks again
Mariac

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 December 06 01:05 GMT (UK) »
hiya mariac,the egyptian campaign was going on in 1882,it could be the egyptian medal that hes wearing,theres also the fact that malcolm never had the chance to have his photo taken when he was in the army,so he may have donned his old uniform and had one taken in oz after he left the army,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline neil1821

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 December 06 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Mack,
The 1882 Egypt medal with the clasp for Tel-el-Kebir was my first thought as well.
From what I can see of the medal it certainly looks like it.

If it is this one, then I have the medal roll so should be able to find him (with luck!)

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 December 06 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I thought it may have been the Sudan but not knowing much about uniforms wasnt sure. It would be great if  he was on the  medal roll Neil.
I wasnt successful in doing anything with the photo as the copy I have off the original is not all that good. The face of the  medal is just a blur.
Would the uniform have been an British one or one the aussie contingent wore?
Thanks for your help
Mariac

Offline neil1821

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 December 06 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Mariac,
I was thinking Egypt 1882 with the British Army, since he went to Oz in about 1883.
However, a NSW contingent served in Suakin, Sudan in 1885 as you say. I don't know if this is possible in terms of the uniform he's wearing, but the same medal would apply (the Egypt medal with clasp for Suakin 1885 in this case)
This is the medal we're talking about with the blue & white striped ribbon:
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-conflicts-periods/other/sudan.htm

Interestingly, there is a Malcolm Smith in the roll of Australians who served in Suakin 1885:
http://www.awm.gov.au/nominalrolls/sudan/person.asp?p=678
Could this be him?

Neil

Offline mariac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 December 06 11:17 GMT (UK) »
It is very interesting with a Malcolm Smith being on the nominal Roll.  His wife came from the Isle of Lewis  so perhaps they knew one another over in Scotland. Assuming it is the Malcolm Smith I need.
I have sent away for the marriage transcription so hopefully that will tell me where he came from. If it is Lewis and the age fit then Bingo it may be him.
Thanks for your help
Mariac