Author Topic: Regiment/Uniform/Info request - William Beresford  (Read 2455 times)

Offline haze73

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regiment/Uniform/Info request - William Beresford
« on: Friday 01 December 06 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, :)

Got this picture of my great grandad, William Beresford. He lived in Woolwich, before and after he was in the army.

Born 1884, He  served in Northwest front in India before WW1 and was in France in WW1. Then was invalided out. That's all I know - My family haven't been able to locate any army records for him at all.

If anyone can tell which regiment he was in, or if anyone had relatives out there too who can give me any background info, that would be great. Trying to search for the name William Beresford is very difficult - as there were quite a few William Beresfords who served in the army, and it's so hard when all the ones I've searched for aren't him!!!...

Also, just on the offchance anyone can help with this -

His son, William George Beresford b. 1913 was in the army towards the end of WW2 starting as officer, and then left as Acting Lieutenant Colonel shortly after the War. He lived in Woolwich and was in REME - I can't find any info on him. He was involved in converting the Krupps factory in Germany from munitions to domestic use, did a lot of Electrical stuff at Woolwich Arsenal, and was involved in testing in Ashford, Kent, on the robotic arms they used to diffuse bombs in N Ireland. He also worked at the War Office in Chessington. If anyone can find any info on him that would be great as we can't find any info for him either.

Even the tiniest bit of help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Hazel  :)
Arthur; Beresford; Bladen; Cooper; Eaves; Fullman; Garrett; Hart; McCallum; McCorquodale; McDonald; MacFarlane; Parks; Parr; Pike; Powell; Reader; Sinclair; Stephens; Tomkins; Trotman; Whitehead; Wilson; Woolnough

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Regiment/Uniform/Info request - William Beresford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 December 06 12:15 GMT (UK) »

on the slighty blurry evidence of the cap badge and collar dogs, i would think he's Royal Artillery

Offline haze73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 December 06 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Harribobs - thanks for that - I've zoomed in on the hat, any clearer?

Hazel
Arthur; Beresford; Bladen; Cooper; Eaves; Fullman; Garrett; Hart; McCallum; McCorquodale; McDonald; MacFarlane; Parks; Parr; Pike; Powell; Reader; Sinclair; Stephens; Tomkins; Trotman; Whitehead; Wilson; Woolnough

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 December 06 12:37 GMT (UK) »

i'll stick with royal artillery  ;)

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 December 06 12:38 GMT (UK) »

if he was pensioned out, you might be in luck. i think i read a post from themonsstar that said pension records survived, (but you'll have to ask him)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 December 06 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I'd go along with harribobs on this one with it being RA.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Suttonrog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 December 06 12:53 GMT (UK) »

Offline haze73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 December 06 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much, its good to know at least what regiment he was in!!! You're very kind to help out.

I'll follow up that suggestion about records - fingers crossed I won't find a million William Beresfords in that list too!!! It's funny, it might be easier but all my male Beresfords going back to 1770 were all Williams!!!

Sadly, both my granddad and great granddad were dead before I was born. And some families just don't think of asking stuff until its too late...

Hazel

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 December 06 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hazel

Yes, if he was discharged to pension during WW1 then his record should be in class WO 364 at Kew.

5. WO 364 : Soldiers Discharged to Pension
These service records relate to
discharges of regular soldiers at the end of their period of service. Men who signed up for the duration of the war did not get pensions: instead they got a gratuity on demobilisation, and will not be found here unless they received a pension on medical grounds.
discharges on medical and associated grounds, including those who died after the award of a pension.
They are alphabetically arranged, but cannot be searched on line, as ranges of names are given in the catalogue (e.g. Bevan, Aidney - Beveridge, Andrew).

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=18#5

If he was still in the army 1918 and you know where the family were living then it might be worth checking the absent voter's section of the local electoral register - these usually give regiment and numbers.

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk