Author Topic: Photo editing for beginners, please **COMPLETED**  (Read 2744 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo editing for beginners, please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 December 06 04:30 GMT (UK) »
I noticed on the weekend, there are "Photoshop for Dummies" books available too (not implying you are a dummy of course...most unfortunate name for a book!!).  ;D

Cazza
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 December 06 05:22 GMT (UK) »
I also did a 'Google' for Photofiltre tutorials,  :)

here's the result link,

Yvonne

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=photofiltre+tutorials&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls

Offline Charlie Bucket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 December 06 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Yvonne - your link looks good. I'll check those sites out.
Cazza. I hadn't thought of a "dummy" book. It is a very good series. I have the Word 2003 one and have read the one on hearts. They are written in an easy to understand and humorous style but are very authoritative.

Charlie.
BURGESS (West Somerset)
TAKLE (West Somerset and Bristol)
QUICK (West Somerset)
STEAR/STEER (West Somerset)
KEEFE (Tipperary; Victoria, Australia; New Zealand)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 December 06 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Charlie, I don't know photofiltre but I'm sure Yvonne is on track.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Euro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Charlie, I have about 60 "For Dummies" books but I don't think there is one for Photofiltre.  :(

If you decide to use Photoshop then I would recomend these 3 books to help with photo restoration and photo manipulation, "Photoshop CS2 Before and After Makeovers", "Photoshop Restoration & Retouching" and "Adobe Press Adobe Photoshop CS2 Studio Techniques Aug 2005" you can get these books in ebook format  :) or a hard copy (actual book).

If you go for another piece of software then you should make sure it has a "Heal" tool and a "Clone" tool because they are the 2 tools most used to restore a picture.

It would also be a good idea to check if there are many plug-in's for the software you choose to use, I am lucky because I have access to about 2000 plug-in's for photoshop but I only have about 40 or so installed, so there are many 1000's of plug-in's for photoshop.

Good luck with your choice of software and hope you have fun with photo restoring.  :)

Colin.

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 14:14 GMT (UK) »
You just never know what you might find when you Google - there are plenty of sites out there with free turorials or forums for many software packages.

Personally the Dummy books that I have read have been far too basic and sketchy to really provide me with much help.  They are fine for absolute beginners, but when you already know the real basics, some of them don't go much beyond that.  Forums are a good way to go usually - like this one  ;D
I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Going to have to disagree with you there Tony.  I was thumbing through the photoshop one in the bookstore and it covered every function, which would give you a foundation to build on and improve wiith experimentation and practice.  I don't think you will find a book that tells you how to exactly restore a photo that will apply in every situation.   While basic repair with a clone tool is the same, I find correcting a lot of problems is mostly trial and error with various techniques.

Cazza
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Well there is always the exception Cazza - the few Dummies books I looked at didn't provide what I needed (really HTML and Web Design).  I suppose they must serve their purpose otherwise people wouldn't buy them. 

I find it hard to believe that you use one though, the kind of restoration you do requires more than just what you find in a book - artistic talent is a gift  :)
I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 15:12 GMT (UK) »
To be perfectly honest...I've never read any kind of manual in my life so I really shouldn't be recommending any  LOL!  ;D :D :D