Author Topic: Building a bigger picture  (Read 1405 times)

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Building a bigger picture
« on: Saturday 02 December 06 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

My H2Bs Nan had a brother, John Edgar Constable.
John was in the RAF in 12 Squadron and on the 11/12th June 1943 was undertaking a bombing exercise over Dusseldorf, where he was killed.
I know where John was buried, and the above details around his death, but not much else.
I would love to build a picture of his career with the RAF prior to his death.
I know it devestated the family, as his father did not want John to enrol, and was heartbroken when he did....the family begged him not to enrol, as they felt he was too young, but nethertheless he did, as he felt it his duty to fight for his country, and then he was killed.
If anyone can provide any info on him, or the 12 Squadron including any pics I would be forever grateful.

Kindest Regards

Colleen
DUR; Stephenson, Wray, Collier, Lowther,Rothery
GLA; Jones, Allen, Holland, Nicholas,George,Lewis
ESS; Davey
W.Yorks; Martin, Hodgson, Tyler,Harrold
LAN; Dodd, Constable, Brinkley
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Building a bigger picture
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 December 06 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I see that 12 Sq. were based at Wickenby flying Lancasters in June 1943.  The order of battle for 4th March says that the squadron were a part of 1 Group of Bomber Command.
I'll have a look in the books Lancaster at War, (3or4 vols in the series Ian Allen, 1971 but reprinted) to see if there are any pics in there. There is one of the Squadron lined up in front of the planes for the press, but it was taken a little later, Jan20th 1944.
These books may be worth a look from the library as they give lots of info on what it was like to fly Lancasters.
Fred

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 06 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks so much for that.
I would be thrilled if a pic was there with John and his crew members on!
I will have a look in my local library too for any books on the Lancasters.

Kindest Regards

Colleen
DUR; Stephenson, Wray, Collier, Lowther,Rothery
GLA; Jones, Allen, Holland, Nicholas,George,Lewis
ESS; Davey
W.Yorks; Martin, Hodgson, Tyler,Harrold
LAN; Dodd, Constable, Brinkley
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline annsa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 December 06 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colleen,

Try the general message board at:

www.rafcommands.com

One of the researchers there may have information and/or pictures concerning 12 Squadron. Also a lot of the researchers have their own microfilm of the ORBs (Operations Record Books) and may be able to give you the dates of posting in ofyour relative and also the names of the crew that he flew with. He may have flown with a different crew to the onw he was KIA with and it may be some of another crew may still be alive. Also there are a couple of experts at searching the London Gazette (I've never got to grips with the search engine) who may be able to find some additional information in that. It would be a good idea if someone could get a copy of his service record, it needs to be a next of kin, I believe the price at present is £30, but it would give all his postings and any other Squadron that he might have served with. You need to apply to RAF Innsworth PMA, you should get the full address from the modern RAF MoD site.

Regards,

Ann

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 December 06 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, another idea could be to post on the RAFA websites. They have been very helpful in the past and sometimes have collections of members' photos or have veterans who served with the Squadron.
I checked a couple of the Lancaster at War books and found several photos of 12 Squadron as well as that mentioned above:
Vol 1:P33,Fl Lt Lancaster at Wickenby, Mar1943
         P112 A crash landed Lancaster Nov28, 1943
         P118 "The Queen of the Chase" flown by the Thompson crew.
Vol 3: P58crews relaxing at Wickenby, 1944 
          P61 Lancaster PH:U
          P67 Sgt Matthews in the tail turret, accompanying an article about a 12 Sq training flight on 20/1 June 1943
Fred

Offline stockman fred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 December 06 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, further to the above, I see that there is an RAF Wickenby memorial museum and archive whose website is at http://www.rafwmm.flyer.co.uk./   There is lots of interesting info there, and an e-mail address to contact the museum.
Fred