Author Topic: when did he arrive?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline gallipolianzac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
when did he arrive?
« on: Saturday 02 December 06 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Archibald Goode emigrated to Canada sometime between 1911 and 1914. I know he returned  in 1914/1915 because he enlisted in the royal Sussex Regiment in Worthing on January 18th 1915. Can anyone help me find the ships he sailed on and the dates? He was born in April 1895 in Thakeham, Sussex.

Jerry Murland
Co.Down: Murland
Sussex: Goode, Watts, Poole
Northamptonshire: Murland
East Yorkshire: Royle

Offline atth2o

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: when did he arrive?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 December 06 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jerry,

This is a difficult time to locate an ancestor on ships lists.  I have checked the available indexes with no luck.  Keep an eye on the following website:

http://members.shaw.ca/nanaimo.fhs/

They are slowly indexing the time period that you are looking for.  This index at present covers July 1908 to October 1910 - Quebec & Montreal ports.  If you wish to trawl through the actual images for other years, they can be found at the following site:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/passenger/index-e.html

This would be a long process as well over 200 ships arrived each year and the manifests are over 50 pages long.  If you find the transcription of Archibald, you can go to this website to get the image.

I did check the 1911 census of Canada and did not find him.  You can possibly start your search after June 1, 1911, the census date.  (There is the possibility that he is a transcription error so don't rule out that he was not there)  Not much help, I know.   :'(

Good Luck,
Nancy
Attwater - Kent & London England (All spelling variations)
Goodwin - Kent & London England
Cronin - Ontario & Ireland
Clancy - Peter Robinson Expedition - Ontario, Canada & Rockmills, Cork, Ireland
Kenneally - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Redmond - Ontario, Canada & Ireland
Shepley - Ontario, Canada & Lancashire, England