Author Topic: 73rd Regiment - Quartermaster William Russell  (Read 1248 times)

Offline mark1965

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
73rd Regiment - Quartermaster William Russell
« on: Saturday 02 December 06 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I NOW KNOW THIS MAN IS WILLIAM RUSSELL

I have a bit of a conundrum

From a certificate I have reference to bride's father as a quartermaster with 73rd Regiment.

I know the surname is Russell and the marriage took place in Woolwich in 1844 and am reckoning on my ancestor Quartermaster Russell born around 1786 (it was his daughter's second marriage). From IGI I think he is either Thomas or William but cannot be sure - I also have a John Russell in Army list serving in 73rd in 1840 which might be another possiblilty although it throws some of the daughter's dates out.

How can I identify him?

In addition, his daughter's first husband Patrick McAvoy was a Gunner with Royal Artillery based in Woolwich (they had a daughter born in Ithaca in 1840) - do I need to go to Kew to get any info on him.

Many Thanks, Mark
Sanders in Birmingham, Bastard in Kent, Kirkham in Birmingham/Shropshire, Hoddinott in Somerset, Phillipps in Wiltshire, Painter in London/Leicester, Ellefsen/Skanke in Norway

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 73rd Regiment - Quartermaster Russell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 December 06 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Mark,
The John Russell in the 1840 Army List is an Assistant Surgeon, so I don't think it's likely to be him. QM of the 73rd at the the time was one John Hickson.

By tradition in the British Army, a quartermaster is someone who's risen up through the ranks before being commissioned (i think I'm right in saying), so you may find him earlier as an NCO.

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline fordy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 73rd Regiment - Quartermaster Russell
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 06 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a bit of a conundrum

From a certificate I have reference to bride's father as a quartermaster with 73rd Regiment.

I know the surname is Russell and the marriage took place in Woolwich in 1844 and am reckoning on my ancestor Quartermaster Russell born around 1786 (it was his daughter's second marriage). From IGI I think he is either Thomas or William but cannot be sure - I also have a John Russell in Army list serving in 73rd in 1840 which might be another possiblilty although it throws some of the daughter's dates out.

How can I identify him?

In addition, his daughter's first husband Patrick McAvoy was a Gunner with Royal Artillery based in Woolwich (they had a daughter born in Ithaca in 1840) - do I need to go to Kew to get any info on him.

Many Thanks, Mark

There is a Adj. W.L. Russell in the 73rd, in the Army List of 1833.... (Feb 1822).

Earliest I could find him in was the Army List 1818: Wm. L. Russell, Ensign, (17th Jan 1816.)

Latest I have for him is June 1837:  Lieutenant W.L. Russell, Adjutant. 28 Feb 1822.

Hope this is of some help...

David..
Your Old Books & Maps

Offline mark1965

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 73rd Regiment - Quartermaster William Russell
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 06 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi - don't think this is him

Have received some information on WL Russell which doesn't fit

William Lloyd Russell of the 73rd regimentborn in 1800 and was only 16 when commissioned as an Ensign on 17 January 1816 so ruled out on grounds of age and class. After being made a Lieutenant in 1822 he became a Captain on half-pay on 20 October 1837, eventually retiring by sale on 20 January 1843. He served in Ceylon between 1819-1821.

Question - did men change regiments often in this period - ie if William Russell was a quartermaster in 73rd in 1844 would he in all likelihood have served in 73rd his entire career.
Also - as 73rd was a Highland regiment what would be the likelihood of him being Scottish?

Thanks, Mark
Sanders in Birmingham, Bastard in Kent, Kirkham in Birmingham/Shropshire, Hoddinott in Somerset, Phillipps in Wiltshire, Painter in London/Leicester, Ellefsen/Skanke in Norway

Offline fordy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 December 06 11:45 GMT (UK) »

I think you need to look at your dates here...  If you reckon him being born circa 1786, he is unlikely to be still in the army in 1844 - at aged 60?

David..

Offline mark1965

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 December 06 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes I agree - all I have is daughter born 1812 and his rank/profession in 1844 - If we assume age at daughter's birth of 22 this would make him around 1790 and 54 at time of wedding  - is that still too old for the time?

Mark