Author Topic: Does anyone know where Newry is in Ireland??  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Betty Boo

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know where Newry is in Ireland??
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 December 06 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lep,

I know when they married it was 1877 Vol. 1 Page 975 and the birth of my grandmother was 1880.  So I think it would be the 1881 or 1891 Irish census if there was one.  My grandmother was in Dundee in the 1901 census, well I think its her anyway.

Elizabeth :)

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 December 06 22:39 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Elizabeth,
  Full Goverment census of the whole Island were taken in 1821 1831 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1901 1911 The first four were destroyed by fire at the public records office in 1922. Those for 1861 1871 1881 and 1891 were completely destroyed prior to 1922 ,by order of the goverment.
  This means that the earlist surviving comprehensive returns are for 1901 1911.Microfilm copies can be consulted in the N.L.I. also available  via the L.S.D. in Salt lake city America.
                            Lep

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 December 06 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lep,

I have been told by someone who is in Ireland that a lot of the census are still there the fire which was next to the records office didn't destroy the records at all.  I get so many different stories on this, who do you believe??

Sorry I don't know what N.L.I. is and the Latter Day Saints I am told have a lot of Irish records which you can order.

On Genes Reunited they say this about Irish records and this is the guy who did all the research for Who Do You Think You Are recently on television.

The records were all destroyed in 1922
No, they weren't. The Public Record Office in Dublin was indeed destroyed during the Irish Civil War in 1922, along with virtually all its holdings. From the point of view of genealogy, the most significant losses were the 19th-century census returns, the Church of Ireland parish registers and the testamentary collections. Anything not in the PRO has survived, including non-Church of Ireland parish records, civil records of births, marriages and deaths, property records and later censuses. For much of the material that was lost, there are abstracts, transcripts and fragments of the originals.
Irish research is impossibly difficult
To the contrary, there is actually quite a compact set of relevant records, almost all held centrally in Dublin or Belfast. If you start with enough information - in particular, a place of origin in Ireland - research is actually very straightforward.
All the records for Northern Ireland are held in Belfast and those for the Republic of Ireland are in Dublin
Wrong again. Until 1922 the entire island was one administrative unit. Both Dublin and Belfast repositories have at least copies of the pre-1922 records, with those in Belfast largely, but not completely, confined to the nine historic counties of Ulster. It is only after 1922 that the records are different.

Elizabeth

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 December 06 10:39 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Elizabeth,
  The N.L.I.  [National Library of Ireland.]
  You believe who you like that is your choice.
  Only one set of original returns survived the fire in 1922, that for the Parish of Killeshandra in Co, Caven.
 There are many census substitutes, which records more than a single name ,at least for genealogical purposes.
 In my opionion any one doing Irish research, should read about the history of Ireland, there are many book's that will give you a good insight in what you are dealing with.Then armed with the fact's you will then know if it's easy.
                                            Lep. ;)

Offline Betty Boo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 December 06 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Lep,

Fair enough everyone is saying different thing about the records in Ireland. Anyway a girl has contacted me who lives in Ireland and she is going to their records office next week.  She is going to look at the birth of my grandmother for me, she has found the reference Page and Volume numbers already so its just a matter of checking the details of her parents etc.  So at least I will find out about my gran.

Elizabeth

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 December 06 11:47 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Elizabeth, ;D
     So pleased for you. I hope it will give you more to go on.
                                       Lep