Author Topic: Jordan-Kiltamagh  (Read 2881 times)

Offline nanapop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jordan-Kiltamagh
« on: Saturday 02 December 06 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Looking for any information on a Thomas Jordan married to Catherine Charles in Derrywhoy County Mayo.  One child (my great grand father) was named James born late 1860's early 1870's.  He immigrated to Boston, MA early 1890's and married Julia Burns.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Margie

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Jordan-Kiltamagh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 06 16:57 GMT (UK) »
 Hi there the spelling is Kiltimagh  and I would say it's derryvohey
   [not derrywhoy]
       Kiltimagh is in the west of Ireland Co, Mayo.
          Derryvohey means [oak wood of hut].
                      Lep.

Offline beristian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 23:18 GMT (UK) »
My Great grandfather James Jordan lived in Kiltimagh area from 1835 to 1896 approx. He built the first house in what was later named as James Street around 1870 although a sign over the house says built in 1850. He married Ellen Mc Nicholas from Bohola circa 1861. They had a number of children who emigrated to USA one of whom was a son James who emigrated to USA and died in 1938. As far as we can tell this James had a son called James also who may have been involved in the Korean War according to an elderly relative. I wonder is there some connection here with your query.

Offline nanapop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 March 07 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I was thrilled to get your message, however I don't recognize your James Jordan.  My James Thomas Jordan(g grandfather) came over around 1892 and setled in Boston MA.  He married Julia Burns and had 4 children (Thomas James, Patrick Francis, Alice & Annette)  His parents were Thomas Jordan and Catherine Charles. Thomas and Catherine had James Thomas, Patt, Ellen, Mary & Anne.  Catherince I believe came from the Derrywohy area and James from Kiltimagh.

There could be a connection however in that your James who married Ellen McNicholas and my Thomas who married Catherine Charles were possibly brothers or at the very least cousins.

I would love to see a connection but prooving it seems impossible.

I looked a up the baptisms of your James & Ellens children and have some information on who their sponsers were.
You may already have this information.  Also, there is a woman named Nancy Reeb who has done extensive research in the Kiltimagh area and if you just google Nancy Reeb Kiltimagh with the name Jordan you will find a ton of information.

If any of your relatives ended up in the Boston, Massachusetts area I can maybe help you with dates and names.

I hope you can find a connection with our James Jordans.

Margie

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 March 07 23:06 GMT (UK) »
hello margie, from family search.org  (don't know how reliable they are) BIRTHS. MARY 9-10-1864. ELLEN 21-8-1866. JAMES 15-1-1868. PARENTS. THOMAS JORDAN. & CATHERINE CHARLES. ALL BORN KILTAMAGH,  MAYO, IRE.

KIND REGARDS MARY.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline beristian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 March 07 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Margie,
I think you may be right that your Thomas Jordan may have ben a brother of my great grandfather James Jordan. The key is to find the name of their father and mother. James Jordan my great grandfather and Elleanor or Ellen Mc Nicholas from Bohola were married in Bohola in December 23rd 1861. They had 12 children 3 of whom died very young. 4 emigrated to USA whom we would love to find out about.
1. James Born 1864 arrived in USA April 20th 1884 and died New York 1938. Had an address 110East 121 Street. He had a son James but no further info.
2. Patrick Born 1873 arrived in USA 31st August 1894 and no further info
3. Henry Born 1878 arrived in USA 15th October 1896  and no further info.
4. Mary Born 1862 arrived in USA 1881  She was a nun named Sister Mary Anne of Convent of Good Shephard Gormanstown Philadelphia USA.  dIED 1934.

My name is Tom Jordan and my grandfather was Thomas Jordan 4th eldest in the family of James and Ellen born in 1868 emigrated to USA in 1894 and returned to Irealnd at his mothers request circa 1899 to help the business which was in having problems.