Author Topic: How do we know if we have a genuine Mary Shelley family album?  (Read 6996 times)

Offline 01debbie

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dear Nan, Sybil Edith Grace Boxall 1909-1992
    • View Profile
Re: How do we know if we have a genuine Mary Shelley family album?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 December 06 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I THINK I've solved my own question.  The gentleman with the hat, was Abraham Ling born c1797 in Woodham ?Murton essex & died in 1872.  he was a master baker.  On the 1841 census in Rochford,  I have him with several of the children that are photographed as adults in the album.

I haven't found him for sure yet on the 1851, so jumped ahead to 1861 where he is living in Market Sq Rochford with wife number 2 that I know of.  There are various families living next to & just along from Mr Ling, who's names & pictures are in the album.  These include the Appletons,  the Whites & The McDurmid  Shelleys.  There is a Mary White Shelley grand daughter of one Mr Thomas McDurmid.

So, it was true...he was the Grandfather of Mary Shelley...just not THE Mary Shelley  ;D

& all this from a bunch of photos & bare skin & bones names  8)

If anyone knows any descendants of the above named families, lplease let them know I have something they might be interested in  :D ;) :D
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 December 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie  ;)
I was going to say those pics looked like 1870s to me, but you've already worked it out (and vindicated my guesstimate - phew!  8) )
How lovely to have the album, with names too.  I've got one like that that I bought at an antique market.  I scanned each picture and put them all up on my website:  http://victorian-photos.rootschat.net/page14/page14.html
Another Rootschatter went to work trying to find the family of the album owner on all the England censuses, with some success.   I still haven't tracked down any current family members, though  :(

Prue

Offline 01debbie

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dear Nan, Sybil Edith Grace Boxall 1909-1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 December 06 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Prue  :)

I wasn't sure at first if I had the right Abraham...not until they all fell into place in 1861.  With so many of the names from the album, it has to be the right families.  :)  I found some other info too which I guess I'm going to have to put altogether & try & find some descendants.  As you know from experience, that'll be the tricky part!!  ::)

I'll look at your website, thanks for the link  ;)

Debbie
BOXALL    Portchester & Southampton<br />CLASBY    Southampton<br />HELLYER   Hound, Netley & Southampton<br />MIDLANE   Isle Of Wight<br />PHILLIPS   Botley & Southampton<br />PRICE       Isle Of Wight<br />VERONELLI/VEARONELLY/VERONELLY & variants ANY<br />WAREN     London<br />WINTER    S.E. London

Offline Helen53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I think I may well be a descendant of Abraham Ling.  My great grandfather was Elijah Ling (b 1858) of Rochford.
Ling
Bray

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Hopefully Debbie will get back to you but she has a message up saying her emails don't work & she's not been on the site since 2011.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"