Author Topic: Under 32 Berw Road  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Under 32 Berw Road
« on: Monday 04 December 06 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Some of my ancestors lived 'under 32 Berw Road' (Pontypridd, I think) according to the 1881 census.

Please, can anyone tell me, what does 'under' mean on an address like this?

Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Re: Under 32 Berw Road
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 06 12:25 GMT (UK) »
At a guess, they lived in a separate house/cottage down the hill behind 32 Berw Road? It's only in comparatively recent times that it became compulsory for every inhabited building to have an official 'proper' address, so all sorts of phrases were used by enumerators (and residents) to identify where people lived.

Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 06 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tricia, I have had this in much the same area.  Many families shared rented/leased houses I suppose.

For me it related to a three storey house and my lot occupied the basement or lower floor as their living area.  Normally the middle floor would be facing the street and the basement would be accessible from the back lane as such, under the middle floor.

Do not know if this applies for your family, though.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 December 06 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cas & Gareth,

Yes, it would appear that either of those could be possible.

Sometimes a word like this can have a specific meaning, in a specific area, and I just wondered if this might be the case ~ local knowledge can be a very useful thing!

I'll give those two ideas some thought, but if anyone else has any other suggestions, I would like to hear them. :)

Thanks! :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 December 06 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tricia_2

I've seen "behind" as used mostly in built up areas where the houses are back to back with alley ways to the front are marked "back of 32"

Under 32 would lead me the basement, but it's as well as to keep an open mind where Census are concerned.

What's the enumerators description say ( if you don't have access to it what is the full reference?)

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 December 06 22:10 GMT (UK) »
As an aside,

32 Berw Road, Pontypridd has a mention in Slaters Directory of 1880

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/LlantwitFardre/Pontypridd/slaters.1880.html

...scroll down to 'Gentry & Clergy'

Mrs Mary Evans, 32 Berw Rd

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tricia_2

I've seen "behind" as used mostly in built up areas where the houses are back to back with alley ways to the front are marked "back of 32"

Under 32 would lead me the basement, but it's as well as to keep an open mind where Census are concerned.

What's the enumerators description say ( if you don't have access to it what is the full reference?)

Wendi  :)

Yes, in Birmingham we find 'back of' and I was wondering about something similar here.
I'll have to see if I can find more census info.

Thanks for the ideas. :)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 08:46 GMT (UK) »
As an aside,

32 Berw Road, Pontypridd has a mention in Slaters Directory of 1880

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/LlantwitFardre/Pontypridd/slaters.1880.html

...scroll down to 'Gentry & Clergy'

Mrs Mary Evans, 32 Berw Rd

That's interesting!
Thank you very much for that! :)