Author Topic: Proberts of Breconshire  (Read 7800 times)

Offline Janel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Proberts of Breconshire
« on: Monday 04 December 06 09:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm searching my grandfather's family tree. He was born William James Probert  in 1901 to Alfred (or Frederick) Probert and Annie Probert (nee Richards) I believe in Llangynidr. He had a sister Elizabeth (or Bessie) After his mother died young his father remarried and I think my grandfather had a half brother called John Probert. He fell out with his father. Unfortunately I can't trace anything of Alfred or Annie and would like to know more. If you are tracing the Probert family tree and have info on Alfred (Frederick) I'd love to hear from you!

Janel

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Proberts of Breconshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 06 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!
this looks like their marriage
June qtr 1901 Crickhowell Alfred Probert and Annie Richards both on page 11b pg 172.
If you get this certificate from the GRO, it will give their addresses at time of marriage, their ages(not always accurate) and their fathers' names and occupations which will help you with searching for them in the 1901 census. There's certainly no obvious entry for Alfred in 1901 as the only Alfreds in Breconshire are a tad young to marry in 1901. Haven't looked for Annie as probably too many of them to be sure without further detail like age or father. Hope this helps.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Janel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 06 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Osprey :D

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 February 07 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am tracing a friend's family and he has a Hannah Probert, born in Brecon around 1855, daughter of Meredith Probert and Ann. I don't have the mother's surname yet but am in Brecon next week so it is on my list of things to do. Meredith Probert ( 1829c) was born in Radnor, as was his father, Thomas ( 1790c). That's as much as I know as yet. Hope it is of some use to you.

Regards,

Jen
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline diana1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 July 07 06:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Janel,

There are alot of Probert families in that area of Breconshire. they sometimes wandered across the border into Monmouthshire.   Llanwenarth, Llangynidr, Govilon and Llanelly, Brecs are all very close to each other.

I have Proberts living in Llangynidr in 1841.    They were Thomas Probert a saddler and shoemaker.   He married Margaret Evans bapt. 1795 Bwlch, Cwmdu in 1795.     They moved around alot.
Children of Thomas and Margaret Probert were
Thomas bapt 1817 Crickhowell
George Henry 1818
James bapt 1819 Llanelly
John bapt 1821 Llanelly living at Darren Duon
Margaret bapt 1827 Llanelly living at Craig Amy
Jane bapt 1827                   ditto
William bapt 1831 Panteg Monmonmouthshire
Mary born Pontypool and bapt. 1831   Panteg Mons
Jane Emily bapt 1825

John Probert 1821 Llanelly is my great x 2 grandfather.   He married Eliza Watkins bapt 1820 at Llanwenarth.    Their children were
James bapt 1851 Llanwenarth
John 1847 (gardener)
Thomas 1845 Llanwenarth (grocer Abertilly and then moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire b7 1881)

Perhaps there is a link with this generation.

best wishes
Diana

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 July 07 06:24 BST (UK) »
I have a Susannah Probert b abt 1796 who materialises in worcester- I have long thought the family probalby came from Wales. but  no idea where

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com