Author Topic: 1851/61 lookup for James Pitman  (Read 3512 times)

Offline kenelms

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1851/61 lookup for James Pitman
« on: Monday 04 December 06 15:56 GMT (UK) »
In my family searches I am trying to find James Pitman born Somerset[very possibly Yarlington/North Cadbury] abt 1800. Firstly, I am not sure if he had moved into the Merthyr area at the time his son Charles had [appears on 1861 there and married 1857 Merthyr]. It was the time of the family migration from Somerset farm labourers to iron foundry workers and coal mining. Any help appreciated. Thankyou.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/61 lookup for James Pitman
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 December 06 16:24 GMT (UK) »
There is no sign of a James Pitman in either year. There are several in 1861, including your man Charles, but the only Pitman in Merthyr in 1851 is George, a 17-year-old labourer, born at Corton Denham, Somerset, and staying at Chapel Row, Gelligaer, with Robert and Elizabeth Griffin, both born in Gloucestershire. If he's one of yours, it looks as though he might have been the outrider who then persuaded the rest to follow him in the 1850s.
     Gareth

Modified: Just noticed George is the stepson of Robert Griffin.
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kenelms

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/61 lookup for James Pitman
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 December 06 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou. Charles was married in Aberdare but the certificate was in the Merthyr registration district. Charles Pitman his father is proving hard to find from 1841 through to death [ It's one of those where oh where searches].