Author Topic: majurey, majury, m'jury  (Read 10368 times)

Offline Artemis1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
majurey, majury, m'jury
« on: Tuesday 05 December 06 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Majurey - looking for this family but would like to hear about others to try and fit the jigsaw puzzle together.

Robert Majurey born abt 1806, died 1876, Cottown (Bangor, C Down), married Sarah Middleton born abt 1808 died 1882 Cottown.

Sons James born abt 1840 died 1910 NZ unmarried, and Robert Henry born about 1850 died 1902 NZ, married Lucinda Creavy Clark 1883 NZ, immigrated to new Zealand about 1868-1869. (my line)

Daughter Sarah died 1919 Bangor married (1) 1867 James John Caulfield (2) Hugh McNielly: children Robert Henry Caulfield 1868, Hugh Caulfield born 1871, Harriet McNielly and Cissie McNielly.

Daughter Mary Jane born abt 1835, died after 1911 in Ireland, married 1856 William Foster. Children: sarah born 08 Mar 1865, Agnes born 22 Jul 1867 Bangor, Robert Henry born 22 Jun 1870 Bangor, John 1874, Annie abt 1875, Hugh abt 1876, and possibly 3 older children.

I believe there may have been another sister as well.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: majurey, majury, m'jury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 13:55 GMT (UK) »
have you seen Ros davies website freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/M/MahMak.htm#maj, good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Granma Anne

• RootsChat Member
  • Where is he? Where's the oul crater hiding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 20:45 GMT (UK) »
This is juat a bit of extraneous information.  In the 1881 census for Scotland I Have a Hugh Majury living with some of my family as a border.

Hugh Majury boarder, Unmarried, 20, Male, Ironworks Labourer, Ireland
I've always wondered how he was connected to my family-  Thomas McFadden, 21 & Robert Hamilton, 38 are also boarders from Ireland living with my family. Don't have a clue as to who they are as well!
Granma Anne
Maitland- Belfast, Newtonards, Lisburn, Comber
McIlwain-Bothwell, Dalziel, Holytown, Motherwell, Scotland; Belfast, Saintfield, Ballynahinch, Ireland
Laird- Kilcronaghan Parish, & Belfast, Ireland; Bellshill, Motherwell, Scotland
Rodgers & McConnell-Newtonards & Comber

Offline Artemis1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 December 06 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou, Granma. Not sure who he is, either, but he may fit in one day. There is a good chance most of the Majureys are related as it is not a common name.

Offline Granma Anne

• RootsChat Member
  • Where is he? Where's the oul crater hiding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 December 06 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to the information, my particular family that this Majury is living with came from Garvagh, parish of Errigle,  to Scotland.  Try looking on the Bann Valley site to see if any Majury's are living in the area. While some of the transcriptions are noted as flawed, it does give one a chance to see if their family were in the area. And, since the name is not common it may give you a clue as to where they started out before the move closer to Belfast or even a move in the opposite direction.
Granma Anne
Maitland- Belfast, Newtonards, Lisburn, Comber
McIlwain-Bothwell, Dalziel, Holytown, Motherwell, Scotland; Belfast, Saintfield, Ballynahinch, Ireland
Laird- Kilcronaghan Parish, & Belfast, Ireland; Bellshill, Motherwell, Scotland
Rodgers & McConnell-Newtonards & Comber

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 May 09 05:31 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Australia.  Just joined up this site today and doing a scan through and found this name you are researching. Not sure if you are still doing it now.

I have found a Jane Majory (also with various spellings) wife of  Navin (Nevin) Hayes married in Newtownards circa 1846.  I am still researching but I am hoping that Nevin Hayes is my great-grandfather (yet to confirm this).  Jane died I think circa 1878 (I'm at work and don't have my records with me) and both she and Nevin are buried in the Bangor Abbey Graveyard.  I have found them having two daughters but there may be more and I am hoping to find that one of their children is my great-grandfather John Crawford Woods Hayes who left Ireland and settled in Adelaide, South Australia.

There is also mention of both Jane and Nevin living in Ean St Holywood Bangor on the Ros Davies website.

Would be great to hear if you have come across this family.
Regards
Suzanne
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline bangorgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 09 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I've been looking through my Grandmother's papers and found a letter from someone called Pam from New Zealand seeking information relating to the Caulfields and Majureys mentioned in this thread.  I found this post after a little Google-ing...Artemis - are you Pam?!  I have a bunch of family tree and birth/death information here and, if I've worked it all out correctly, I am the great great great granddaughter of the Sarah and James John Caulfield mentioned above.  My grandmother was Margaret Caulfield, the youngest daughter of Robert. 

I hope that you are able to see this message and get in touch!  If I don't hear from you soon I shall post a letter to the address I have from your letter of 1996 and keep my fingers crossed that you are still living there.

With warm wishes,
Beth

Offline Suzie_Australia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Beth, The Majurey's (Majory) that belong to my family came from Groomsport.  I have discovered a Robert Majory and daughter Jane who married my great-great grandfather Nevin Hayes.  This is all I have discovered at this stage.  There seemed to be so many of them and it is hard to work out who is related to whom.  So only if you discover a Robert with a daughter Jane amongst your papers I would certainly be interested. 

I think the post from Artemis1 is your connection.

Regards,
Suzanne
Hays/Hayes (County Down); Gentry (Essex); Quelch (Oxford, Middlesex); Majory (County Down); Mungovan (County Clare); Enright (County Clare)

Offline vpurch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 April 11 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Beth, I am from the same line as Artemis, descendant of Robert .Majurey and Sarah Middlington.  Their son Robert Henry married my Great Grandmother Lucinda Clark.  I realise this post was very old but would be interested in any info you have.Thanks