Author Topic: Farrier's Arms  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Farrier's Arms
« on: Tuesday 05 December 06 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone come across 'The Farrier's Arms' in Pontypridd, please?

Thanks! :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Farrier's Arms
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Is it definately Farriers Arms & not Farmers Arms that you are looking for ? - They both would look very similar when handwritten.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 06 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your reply. :)

Yes, I found a 'Farmer's Arms' and did wonder, myself, but the man in question was a retired farrier and my aunt is certain that 'Farrier's Arms' is correct.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline ozlady

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ex-South Wales. Down Under in Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 December 06 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Trish, I googled it and found a Farrier's Arms used to be in a place called Llangenna Graig. Have a look at pontytown.co.uk
Watkins, Price Herefordshire
Brannan, Price, GLAM
Edwards, Gardner MON
Clark(e) SOM
 Census information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 December 06 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ozlady!! :)

I'm following this up!!

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 December 06 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Tricia...

Llanganna is the area of the Graig that housed the Small Pox Hospital & The Workhouse. High St - where the present day Dewi Sant Hospital is located.

Found it shown on the map available at http://www.old-maps.co.uk - search for 'Pontypridd'

The Farrier's Arms isn't shown.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 December 06 02:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi SS from The Rhondda ~ Thank you!
But what an amazing coincidence! I just found it myself, too!

I had a look on Old Maps and on the Ponty workhouse pages and was just coming on here, to ask if people thought that my Aunt was right in her assumption ~ which now looks very promising ~ that the Farriers Arms became the Victoria Non-Political Club on the Graig.

If this is correct, it's really strange, because it would mean that an ancestor on my grandmother's side opened it as 'The Farrier's Arms', and my grandfather belonged to it as 'The Victoria Club'.

The 1874 map, reproduced on the workhouse pages, shows a public house and the OS map on Old Maps shows the Graig Brewery nearby.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Pontypridd/Pontypridd.shtml

It looks as if my aunt could well be right.

Great!

Thanks everyone for your help and any additional comments would be very welcome. :)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 December 06 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Right .. I've been looking at old maps with my Mum, who lived on the Graig ~ Rickards Street ~ until she married.

The pub I found on the corner of Rickards St and High St, she said she knew as a shop ~ Terry's Stores. The Victoria Club was a little further down, behind it.

What became Terry's could, then, have been The Farrier's Arms, since, according to the 1874 map, this area was Llanganna.
However, further down High St, there are another three pubs; and opposite 'Terry's' is another, and Mum said there were more further up ~ off the map. (Mining, etc, was thirsty business)

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Pontypridd/Pontypridd.shtml

I was intrigued by the fact that my Mum had not heard of 'Llanganna', even though it seems to have covered an area around where she lived, and I wondered if the name stopped being used, because of associations with the workhouse and smallpox hospital.

As a side question, where does the 'Llanwonno' area fit into this picture, please?

Thanks again! :)

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 December 06 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I've now found a brief quote about Llanganna on the South Wales Police site ~ 'Policing Pontypridd in the 1850s':

'At the time that PC Banner commenced his duties at Newbridge in 1840, the town consisted of little more than one long street extending from the old bridge to the Tumble, with a few houses at the beginnings of Mill Street (towards the Rhondda) and along the tram-road which ran through the present Sardis Road across the top of the Tumble towards Treforest. On the steep rise from the Tumble to Pencoedcae (at the foot of the Craig) and on the other side of the new railway was a cluster of cottages, public houses and common lodging houses called Llanganna, which was to remain the toughest quarter of the town for many years to come.'