Author Topic: Early emigrant?  (Read 8950 times)

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early emigrant?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry folks I've been a bit tied up and not been able to get back to you.

Trish, you have discovered a tremendous amount of info, I could find nothing but obviusly if she married and I was looking for Marshall then I suppose I wouldn't.  The married in Ireland thing is interesting, I wonder if that could be where they sailed from and not England?

I had assumed (never a good thing) that, as she was recorded as Jemima Marshall died 1901 Sydney NSW aged 96, she had never married, but if the information had come from family here then, maybe, one of her children had written to say she had died and the family may never have known she was even married and therefore not been aware of her name.

How could I obtain a death certificate from Australia bearing in mind the currency difference?  I'm afraid I'm not up on these things.

Can I just thank all you 'detectives' for the work you have done, I just wish I had half the knowledge of some of you.
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tuscany

I hate advising folks to spend money! - especially if not 100% sure you have the right record - but Oz death certificates can be really good value IF the informant knows the facts, which is why I think Henry's certificate (if that death is the right Henry & it does seem to be the only one!) may be a better option as the informant would have been his wife - who should have known when/where they married and when they came to Australia. Alternatively, Jemima's certificate would probably have details supplied by her children - they may/may not know?

The records for the children are only baptism records & would probably provide little more than the parent and child names.

You can buy NSW certificates online (credit card automatically converts the cash) but it is cheaper (& usually quicker) to use a transcription agent - they will email you a transcription of the certificate information - not a legal document, but has all the same details). The one I use unfortunately, doesn't have online payments (don't ever put credit card info in an email)  available (I gave him my credit details by phone so now just have to email when I want something) but you would probably be better using a secure online system & I think one or both of the other two may have same. Their web sites are in the link I previously gave you

Marilyn seems to have a discount offer at the minute!
http://www.transcriptions.com.au/

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou

I've just been on the website and it looks reasonable.  I think before I order I'll see if I can find Henry's birth, possibly in Ireland.

I'll keep you informed.
TUBBS: Fair Oak, Hants.  Woodlands, Horton, Wimborne, Dorset.<br />OLIVER: Chilton Candover, Basingstoke, Bishopstoke,  Fair Oak, Woolston, Hants.<br />RUFFELL: Bighton, Alresford area, Hants.<br />MAIDMENT: Horton, Dorset.  MACKENZIE Bishopstoke, Hants.  BARNES, Fisherton Delamare, Wilts.

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 December 06 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Trish

Just for interest.  Jemima's father was Thomas Marshall born 1767 Frensham Surrey, and mother was Sarah Woodger, born 1774 Frensham, they were my 3 x's great grandparents.  Jemima was my 2 x's great grandmother's sister and interesting because she was an early emmigrant.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 December 06 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tuscany

They were early immigrants indeed - I have a family came from Scotland in 1833 but have never found an official shipping list - fortunately the father  kept a diary - which survived  :D so we know the details of the trip.

Have you had a look on the NSW records site
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/

If you check the indexes in the archives section - there is one for the remenants of the 1841 census - I think only the head of the family is given - but it details the number of each sex and age range - I bought a copy of an entry a couple of years ago - thinking it was my folks - turned out to be someone else  :(  - but worth a check to see if yours may be there.

Trish

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 December 06 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish

I've followed the links you've given me and I have to say the records are great.  I would love to learn more about them but I very much doubt that anything came back and it would mean tracing down lines of very remote ancestors.  I imagine that anything which did survive would be out there anyway. 

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 December 06 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tuscany

It does get difficult to know when to stop in following more remote family links. If I find someone interesting - I do tend to keep going - but usually not when too much cost is involved. I have met very few living relatives via my research, but the first one I did meet was a 5th cousin. Turned out we lived 20 minutes apart - but the families hadn't lived near each other for almost 200 years & came to Australia 50 years apart!

Trish

Offline Cathymjp

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 December 06 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I have just researched a family member in the early 1900s in Australia.  I contacted a local history society where he had died and have had a wealth of information sent to me.  This could be a long shot with your relative being sometime before this date but it may be worth a try.  I also contacted the local council where he died and they put me in touch with the local liabrary who very kindly sent me obituary notices etc out of the local paper.

Good luck with your research.

Cathy  :)  :)
Chilton, Staffordshire and Shropshire
Greatorex
Arblaster
Noden

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tuscany

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 December 06 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Cathy

How did you find the local history society because the wife I'm interested in died in 1901 aged 96?  I know the region she died in but how would I find details of the society?