Author Topic: 1851 Hull please  (Read 3252 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1851 Hull please
« on: Tuesday 05 December 06 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping another pair of eyes will find this missing relative in either 1851 or1861 in Hull.

Mary Ann Banks was born 1845 in Church St Hull. Her father Thomas was a cabinet maker and her mother was Mary Ann (nee Fenton). Mary Ann married in Hull 1866. I'd like to find her with her family before her marriage, but am having no luck. I'd be very grateful if anyone can see what I'm missing.

Thank you.
Lesley

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Hull please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 06 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Cannot find Mary Ann born 1845. Checked deaths and marriages on the Yorks BMD. Could Thomas have died age 21 1845 and Mary Ann remarried. There are 3 marriages of Mary (Ann) Banks between 1845 and 1851: Wilson, Patrick and Drewry. Hard to look for her in the census as do not know where and when she was born. Think Mary Ann born 1845 must be staying with relatives somewhere or adopted stepfather's surname?
Regards
Scarbro
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 06 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking, Scarbro. I have Mary Ann's birth cert in 1846, where her father's name is given as Thomas, and mother as Mary Ann (nee Fenton). I also have her marriage in 1866 to Wm Lewsley where her father is again given as Thomas - no mention of him being deceased.

I've spent ages looking in 1851 and 1861 but just cannot find Thomas's family. In 1846 they were living in Church Street Hull, and in 1866 Mary Ann was living in Drypool, so I assume the family is in Hull.

Thanks again for looking Scarbro. I appreciate it.

Lesley

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Found this
John Banks 50 mariner
Thos Banks 55 mariner
Barbara Banks 45
Thomas 17 chair makers apprentice
Jane 15
all born in county
address Silver Street Todds Entry Kingston upon Hull
HO107/1230/12/5 p4
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Isobelruss. That's interesting - wondering what the relationship between the 3 older adults is.  The occupation makes me think you could have found the correct Thomas - and you've given me some more clues to follow up. Thanks again - and happy new year to you!
Lesley