Author Topic: Missing people  (Read 802 times)

Offline damienb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Missing people
« on: Wednesday 06 December 06 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I have two related problems that, hopefully, somebody can help with - at least point me in the right direction

I have the marriage certificate (16/6/1878) of Patrick Carr and Catherine Kelly, both of Sawney Pope Street in Liverpool. I have them in the 1891 and 1901 censuses with the info correct as far as family history is remembered. What I don't have is any sign of them in the 1881 census. Ages given are 21 and 19 respectively indicating they were born in 1857 and 1859. Later censuses indicate that the first child (James) was born in 1879.  I know dates are notoriously inaccurate but even bracketing the dates turns up nothing (or I'm missing something obvious). Catherine's family were originally from Ireland so they may have gone to visit but seems a little unlikely. 

I have found a Nathaniel married to Catherine with son James but I can think of no reason why his name would have changed (and back again in later censuses). Any suggestions? All much appreciated.

Related to this, the certificate lists Patrick's father as James Carr (deceased), Mariner. Searching back through the earlier censuses I've found a James Carr (mariner and ship's engineer) but no sign of a son Patrick.  I've found another with a son Patrick but no mention anywhere of being a sailor. :(

All very confusing. As I said, any/all suggestions welcome.

Damien

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing people
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
That 1881 family does look very like your family - maybe Patrick was actually Nathaniel know as Patrick or vice versa and it depended who gave the information on census night as to which got written down. Have you had any luck tracing Patrick back before 1881?
Jan ;)

I was looking for one of mine yesterday a George but could only find him in 1871 and 51 - eventually tracked his wife and found him as Charles ???
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge