Author Topic: Family history v genealogy  (Read 4719 times)

Offline molar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Family history v genealogy
« on: Wednesday 06 December 06 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
I am doing a Family History Certificate course. One of the first discussion topics was the difference between family history and genealogy. I must admit I had always thought of  them as different terms for much the same thing (still do in fact!). When the initial question was posed I did look up dictionary definitions and couldn't find any distinction. I feel I am in the minority among the other students and tutors. Much is being made on the course about the difference so I am wondering is it me? Would be interested in other people's views.
regards
Linda
Allison:Atkinson:Cooper:Forster:Greenway:Grieves:Hickman(also Staffs):Mason:Reed:Tennent:Waggott: Nothumberland/Durham.
Armitage:Balam:Bowden:Dean:Etchells: Farney: Stockport /Manchester
Pollitt: Failsworth.
McVeety: Melia: Ireland/Manchester.
Wathen: Bristol
Voigt: Germany/Bristol/Manchester.
Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: Family history v genealogy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda

I think we had quite a long discussion about this on another thread some time ago - I'm sure someone will find it!

The way I, and many others, look at it is, that genealogy is concerned with tracing your family tree - tracking down your lineage (births, marriages and deaths) with no regard for "sidelines" or extra information - whereas family history is a much wider thing, involving "putting the meat on the bones" by finding out where your ancestors lived, what they did for a living, what they died of, who their siblings were, etc.

Most of us seem to start off by seeing how far back we can go, but end up by trying to create more of a story about each member of the family.

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

To me genealogy is just tracing your family tree and family history is tracing your tree but also looking at all the brothers/sisters; where they married, the jobs they did etc.

Hope you are enjoying the course.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Genealogy is interesting, but the most fascinating and addictive part is including all the tidbits along the way, the family stories and other things that help bring the family to life.  Otherwise it's just a dry historical study isn't it.
I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline molar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I must agree that the interesting bit is the putting the flesh on the bones etc. . However comments on the course seem to imply genealogy and people's family history is boring to anyone outside the family and not very useful  in academic historical research. Perhaps I'm just nosy but I love reading the snippets of people's ancestors on this site. Perhaps you have gathered I am not enjoying the course and probably won't bother to submit the second assignment. I did the OU Start Writing Family History course and did enjoy that but think I made a mistake with this one.
regards
Linda
Allison:Atkinson:Cooper:Forster:Greenway:Grieves:Hickman(also Staffs):Mason:Reed:Tennent:Waggott: Nothumberland/Durham.
Armitage:Balam:Bowden:Dean:Etchells: Farney: Stockport /Manchester
Pollitt: Failsworth.
McVeety: Melia: Ireland/Manchester.
Wathen: Bristol
Voigt: Germany/Bristol/Manchester.
Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tony Payne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Tony Payne, Southampton, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I think you are probably right Molar - you must be nosy   ;)
But then that makes me nost too  ;D
I just love the fascinating snippets that everyone posts.
Maybe that's why I am addicted to RC
I am researching the following families:
Hurst / Payne - Leicestershire / Warwickshire / Worcestershire
Toon(e) - Leicestershire
Batchelor / Foster - Warwickshire / Northamptonshire
Hardy - Dorset

My web site has the family tree showing.  I am researching primarily the Payne, Hurst, Foster and Batchelor lines in the Midlands.

Off The Record With Debbie And Tony

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I love to find out about people's families, especially if I can dig up a bit of scandal!  That's what makes it so interesting digging up information for other people - you get to see the juicy bits before they do!  ;D

Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 December 06 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I didn't even realise there was a difference.  I thought genealogy was a fancy name for family history  :-[

Ok I'll stick myself in the Family Historian category - I sound rather grand now :)
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 December 06 15:09 GMT (UK) »
To me genealogy is tracing your own lineage or family tree or building a "skeleton" of birth, marriage and death information.

Family History is much more and builds on the basic information you found. In a nutshell, I think family history fills out the "skeleton". Family History will encompass all aspects of the family life such as, where your family lived, why they lived where they did, brothers, sisters, and other relatives, what they did for a living (occupations they had), and the economic conditions they lived through,   Putting together the story of your family may be another way to describe what Family History actually is about.

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen