Author Topic: Role of father of illegitimate child  (Read 2589 times)

Offline diana1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Role of father of illegitimate child
« on: Wednesday 06 December 06 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I am intrigued to see the name of the father, James Fraser, appearing in the informant's column of my greatgrandmother's birth record below the signature of the mother, Christina Kinnear.  (The writing is too indistinct for me to be sure whether it is his signature or the registrar's writing.)

My greatgrandmother, Ann Fraser, is recorded as illegitimate.  But she gives her father's name on her marriage record and it even appears on her death record.

Can anyone illuminate me about the mores current in 1862 in Angus (Dun).  Why would there be so much recognition of the father's identity in an illegitimate birth and yet the couple do not marry?  What are the most likely reasons?  Any thoughts would be welcome.

Jim Murray

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Role of father of illegitimate child
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

My understanding on this issue is that if the father accepted paternity of the child, he would need to attend in person the registration of the birth to confirm that the child was his and agreed for his name to be used in the Birth Cert and indeed, for the child to use his surname. If the father disputed the paternity of the child and was not present, then the birth was registered with the mother's surname only and only her details were given. In some cases, where paternity was later proven, there would be a reference on the birth entry on the register, to the Register of Corrections where further details would be added including the father's name.

Perhaps someone with more detailed knowledge can add to this.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diana1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 06 07:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Monica - that is most helpful

Jim

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 December 06 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Monica is right that the father's name can only be on the birth certificate if he attended with the mother and signed the certificate.

However it's not uncommon for an illegitimate child to be known by its father's name even if he hadn't signed the certificate. It's also common for an illegitimate child to be given its father's full name as a given name.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline diana1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 December 06 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,

Thank you for the further points.

When you say 'birth certificate' is this the same as the birth registration record of which one derives copies from scotlandspeople.com?

Jim Murray

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 December 06 22:54 GMT (UK) »
When you say 'birth certificate' is this the same as the birth registration record of which one derives copies from scotlandspeople.com?

In effect, yes. Strictly speaking a birth certificate is an extract from the birth registers and contains the same information as the register of births.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline diana1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 December 06 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Forfarian,

Jim Murray