Author Topic: Dickinson Family  (Read 3921 times)

Offline BlackPearl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Dickinson Family
« on: Wednesday 06 December 06 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a marriage certificate for my Great Grandparents and it says:

7 Apr 1919 St. Mary's Church in the parish of St. Mary Blyth, Northumberland
Groom - William LEACH age 23 Bachelor Lance Corporal Gloucester Reg. address: 12 B- Street, Blyth. Father Walter LEACH General Labourer
Bride - Mary DICKINSON age 19 Spinster address: 12 B- Street, Blyth. Father Henry Dickinson C- Manager(?).
Both signed as did the witnesses James Dickinson and Hilda Brown.

I know that Mary was born in April 1900 so found a Mary with father Henry on the 1901 as follows:
Bedlington, Northumberland.
Henry Dickinson Head 26 Ale Porter Cartman b. Dudley
Margaret Dickinson Wife 26 b. Seaton Dilaral(?)
John Dickinson Son 6 b. Shankhouse(?)
James Dickinson Son 4 b. Bedlington
Thomas W. Dickinson Son 2 b. Hartford
Mary Dickinson Daur 11m b. Hartford

There is a birth registered in the Jun quarter 1900 Morpeth for Mary Allan Dickinson and there is a marriage registered in Dec 1894 Tynemouth for Henry Allan Dickinson and Maragret Stephenson.  I have found which I think is the correct Henry Dickinson in 1891:
Dudley, Northumberland.
James Dickinson Head 37 General Dealer Shop b. Shankhouse(?)
Isabella Dickinson Wife 39(4) b. Gosforth
Henry Dickinson Son 14(7) Grocers Assistant b. Ducley
Peter Dickinson Son 10 Scholar b. Dudley
Mary Dickinson Daur 8 Scholar b. Dudley
Thomison Dickinson Daur 7 b. Dudley
Margaret Stowe(?) Visitor 15 b. Dudley
Sarah -  Stowe(?) Vistor b. Dudley

from this I looked for a marriage for a James Dickinson and Isabella in Northumberland and found one in Sep quarter 1879 Tynemouth for James Dickinson and Isabella Allen.  I know that this would mean that they married after they had Henry but if this is them in 1881 it explains it a little:
Dudley Colliery, Northumberland (310 Simmonses Buildings?)
James DICKINSON Head 27 Coal Miner b. Cramlington
Isabella DICKINSON Wife 24 b. Long Benton
Henry ALLAN Son 4 b. Long Benton
Peter DICKINSON Son 4m b. Long Benton

Am I barking up the right tree with the Allan connection?  Is the marriage between Henry and Margaret Stephenson most likely to be the correct one?  Is the marriage between James and Isabella Allan the correct one?

Any help or thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Joanne  :-*

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dickinson Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 December 06 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Joanne,

We always seem to be on dodgy ground on our folk after 1901 !

Looking at your "route", I am a little uneasy about the lass in Bedlington on C1901, marrying in Blyth in 1919. But of course they easily could have moved.

Bedlington in St Cuthberts, had a handy C of E parish church, which was hardly a mile away from their address on C1901.
------------------------------------------------------------------

But I will throw some geography at you, to help you to ink in your scenario, or rub it out.

* Dudley once a green field site that turned into a typical colliery village, existing only for the coal.

Dudley lay within the "township" ( a horrible term just to mean a "sub-division"  of a parish, nowt to do with town ! ) of Weetslade, which was part of the Parish of Longbenton.

*Seaton Delaval ( after the Norman-French Delaval family) was one of the eight townships, of the Parish of Earsdon.

* Shankhouse was a mining village within the Parish of Cramlington

* Hartford.... there were/are two Hartfords.. West Hartford and East Hartford, each , one of the five townships that made up the Parish of Horton. There was a coal pit at East Hartford.

Gosforth, it's centre about 3 miles due north of Newcastle City, was another " ancient" parish.

The Church of St Mary's in Blyth ( Market Place) had been a "chapel of ease" of its mother, the parish Church of Mary the Virgin, Horton, but then got it's independence in 1897.

Any BMD happening in Bedlington, the town and the wider parish, would have been registered at/with the Morpeth Registration District ( but to save shoe leather, there were sub-district offices at Morpeth itself, Ashington and Bedlington).

BMDs at all the other above places** lay within the jurisdiction of Tynemouth Registration District. Tynemouth RD had seven sub offices, including Longbenton, Cramlington and Blyth.

** BMDs within Gosforth parish area were to be registered in the Castle Ward RD.

Some census enumerators, especially the earlier ones, would record "parish of birth", rather than the actual place of birth that probably had no antiquity.

So it all seems to be compatible ( except Isabella b. Gosforth/Longbenton.. two separate but NEIGHBOURING, parishes).

Back to the C1901 for a little local "colour".

The family lived at "The Ironworks". This was the famous Bedlington Ironworks, situated on both banks of the River Blyth, that had closed in mid 1800s.

Early railway lines were expensive because when long ones were attempted the iron, snapped, cracked, until the clever lads at Bedlington invented "wrought iron", allowing them to be much longer.

Both George and Robert Stephenson were connected to the Works. Also the first ever steam locomotive in Italy was built at Bedlington Ironworks. Ditto for the Netherlands. If ever you are in Rome or Amsterdam, pop into their museums and see the Bedlington locos.

The house addresses round about the family were "Puddlers Row" ( now Stead Lane) Bank Top ( the River Blyth ran below in a ravine) and Jubilee Terrace
( there today running into Bedlington Station ). At Bank Top there was a pub called the Puddlers Arms...now called The Bank Top. I wonder if Henry was connected to that ?
(see modern maps on www.google.maps.co.uk)

Loads on internet about Bedlington Ironworks.

See  www.genuki.org.uk  for helpful "active" map on Northumberland's parishes, and Registration Districts.

See also  communities.northumberland.gov.uk    for old photos etc, of Bedlington, Blyth (the marriage church ! ) Seaton Delaval, Cramlington.

Enough.

Michael Dixon.
of Bebside Colliery,
in Township of Cowpen,
in Parish of Horton,
in County of Northumberland

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline BlackPearl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 December 06 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Michael!

Many apologies for not replying to you before now.  Hope you have had a great christmas today and I wish you a happy new year!  Thankyou for the advice.  I will let you know if I come up with anything!

Joanne  ;D

Offline BlackPearl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 April 07 23:21 BST (UK) »
A quick question Michael - Who were George and Robert Stephenson and how were they connected to the works?

Jo