Author Topic: Clara Butt : Concert Singer -moved to Gloucestershire 2/1/2015  (Read 16539 times)

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
Re: Clara Butt : Concert Singer
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Looks like I will have to go to Bristol records office as I cannot open the family search records as I am using an old Internet Explorer and cannot upgrade.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 December 14 08:50 GMT (UK) »
I have old IE and also cannot upgrade as newer ones don't seem campatible with my old Windows OS, so I have had to use Firefox or Google chrome with some websites.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 January 15 15:17 GMT (UK) »
No baptism record to be found on Family Search and Bristol records office have searched Holy Trinity St Phillips and St Philips and Jacobs parishes and no records found for a Samuel Adams or his father Simeon.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 January 15 09:57 GMT (UK) »
As "Samuel Adams" claims to have been born in Bristol and he attested to join army in Bristol, it might be better to ask a Moderator to move this thread to the Gloucestershire board. More chance of a Bristol "local" seeing it.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline jembino

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Clara Butt : Concert Singer -moved to Gloucestershire 2/1/2015
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 June 23 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hiya my mother is Susan Elizabeth butt daughter of James Charles butt and iris Joyce helps. Clara is my 1st cousin 3x removed. I have an ancestry tree online too

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 09:50 BST (UK) »
Looks like this thread has come to the fore again.
I just wondered if wdytya has got any further forward with identifying his great grandfather's original name in the intervening years. If not I was going to give it another go.

Having read through the thread again, I think these are the relevant bits of information we know about him.

It would be a miracle if you found anything given I have little information, this is what I know........
I have his marriage certificate which is dated 1904 and he was aged 28. I also have a death notice where he died in a works accident in 1925 aged 53, so born 1875/1876. On his marriage certificate his is shown in the army in Clarence barracks Portsmouth. His father is recorded as Simeon Adams (deceased), Butcher Journeyman.

There is a Stanley Samuel Adams on 1901 census, a gunner in RGA, single, stationed in Jersey, born in Bristol abt 1875. Could he be your man?
FindMyPast has military record of this Samuel.
He attested on 24 Oct 1895 at age of 20 yrs and 2 months. His birthplace given as parish of St Phillips Bristol. He was discharged on 23 Oct 1907, re-enlisted 2 Sept 1914
Next of kin: mother - Mary Adams, 1 Windsor Grove, Upper Easton, Bristol.

Was the name of his wife Agnes Powell? Were was he living at the time of his death?

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
Re: Clara Butt : Concert Singer -moved to Gloucestershire 2/1/2015
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie

Thanks for your message. I have got no further since my post on Samuel Adams beyond the information in your post. When he left the army in Portsmouth he moved to Penarth Vale of Glamorgan by Cardiff. It was here in the local cement works where he fell to his death.

The problem with finding any further information like a birth certificate etc is I suspect Samuel
 Adams was nor the name he was born with.

Anything you can find would be fantastic as this brick wall does not want to come down

Thanks again for taking an interest
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton