Author Topic: McCance family - County Down  (Read 21113 times)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McCance family - County Down
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 December 08 15:52 GMT (UK) »
 From the Linenhall Library, Belfast, cataloque
Irish emigration 1801-1921 / D. Fitzpatrick  1984
Oceans of consolation : personal accounts of Irish migration to Australia 
/D. Fitzpatrick   1994
Records of the Irish famine : a guide to local archives, 1840-1855 / Deirdre Lindsay and D. Fitzpatrick   1993
As you sounded asif you havent seen them , the library might copy some pages for your personal research
Good luck , Jim

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline iandann

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 December 08 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jim. I'm waiting on the local library to get a copy on interlibrary loan of David Fitzpatrick's book from a nearby library. From a brief description on http://questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=103678698 some of the letters were to William Orr and hence the interest in the headstone.

Ian

Offline awp_44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 May 09 11:41 BST (UK) »
My name is Alan Paul, Nathanial McMillan and Agnes McLeod were my GGGG Grandparents. My line is through John McMillan and Mary Regan then Agnes Jane McMillan who married Thomas Edward Venn.

Since I began my research I have always known of the McCance family but have not researched it much. I was going through my McMillan files tonight and googled McMillan and McCance and found these postings and thought I would ask a question which has had me wondering for a while.

In the Venn family there are several incidences were the middle name is Millan. This also occurs in the McCance families some of whom were born in Ireland.

Did this occur as a result of the Marriage of Agnes McMillan (nee McLeod) or is there a link from McCance to a family with the surname of Millan.

I have also seen other information of which I will certainly follow up and have more questions later on.

Hoping some McCance researcher may be able to answer my question

Alan Paul
Victoria, Australia

Offline iandann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 May 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
Alan,

I see the name Millan being used as a given name in memory of Agnes McCance's first husband Nathaniel McMillan (1807-43) who's buried with his parents (Hamilton & Jane) at Greyabbey. Agnes McCance's second family with John McCance were Martha (Purnell, 1845-1926), Robert Millan (1847-1915), William Henry Millan (1850-1925), Agnes Ann (Duggan 1852-93), Francis Edward (1853-1924). Of Robert Millan McCance's five offspring, three were also named Millan ie Ada Millan (Gibson 1875-1945), Donald Millan (1876-1947) Percy James Millan (1878-1952).

I understand that John McCance promised Nathaniel McMillan to look after Agnes and their boys if anything happened to him. If you haven't read it, it's worth getting David Fitzpatrick's book from the library to get some insight into how the the McCance/McMillan families lived after they arrived in Victoria.

I haven't found a listing for the birth of Agnes Jane McMillan on the Victorian BDM indexes, only her siblings (James, Mary, Elizabeth John, Ellen Anne, Ada Louise). Do you have her birth details etc?

Ian

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline swanman5

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 11:00 BST (UK) »
 :To Christopher McCance.
My mother is related to John McMillan born 1810 in Liverpool England he is a brother of Nathaniel McMillan and are related back to Grey Abbey Co Down Ireland
John McMillan is my Mothers Great Grand Father

Offline dunlin1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 19:02 BST (UK) »
I have just made a start at tracing the McAvoy (formally McIlboy) of Greyabbey Co Down N Ireland.  I have a McCance family New Testament which has the following entries which may be of some help to those trying to trace Greyabbey McCances. 

Charles McCance was born January 9th 1844

John McCance was born July 29th 1843

Samuel Harris McCance was born October 9th 1847

Elenor McCance was born 29th October 1850 (This is my Great Grandmother who married John McIlboy (date unkown)

Mary Ann Mccance was born September 9th 1853

Hugh McCance was born May 9th 1856

William McCance was born February 26th 1858

I hope this is of some help and if anyone can help with the Greyabbey McAvoys it would be much appreciated as I am new to this game.

Regards
John

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 19:56 BST (UK) »
John,
        Welcome to Rootschat. I have found that Ellen McCance married John McIlboy on 26 July 1883 in Greyabbey Presbyterian Church, Newtownards, Co. Down.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline dunlin1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McCance family - County Down
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 20:27 BST (UK) »
kingskerswell,
Thanks for the info.  and very quick response.  Have you an interest in the McCance's or McAvoy's (McIlboy's).  I have a photo of my G.G. father and G.G. mother which I will hunt out and post on this sight.  I will have loads of questions in the future.

Thanks again
John

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 21:44 BST (UK) »
John,
        No, sorry, no interest in the family, this was just a look-up which you are more than welcome to.
Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim