Author Topic: shearers for rena  (Read 931 times)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
shearers for rena
« on: Thursday 07 December 06 10:36 GMT (UK) »
these are all the men called shearer who served in ww1 in the RAMC.
93103 james,c
77924 john
2163 duncan
121320 solomon
93184 robert,c
111278 robert
19921 george
46952 william,m  killed in action 9-10-17,buried in edinburgh
50765 joseph
8851 albert,a
50711 james
and two officers LT aleandra shearer and capt james hamilton shearer
is he there rena
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: shearers for rena
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 06 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Manmack!

Is your 'Shearer'  list for me?    ???
Many thanks for your efforts but if so we have a bit of confusion as my grandfather was 'Shearing' born in Cambridgeshire (to Norfolk parents) but living in Yorkshire at the outbreak of WWI. 

I've already got my grandfather's medal card.  He was Shearing J.D. of the RAMC.  This has mention of 2 medals (not the handful he actually had) and nothing about which theatre of war he served in unlike the medal cards of his brothers-in-law (and thereby hangs another tale of 2 brothers sharing one medal card and their other brother has a typing error on the War Grave site).

London Gazette is supposed to contain Dispatch entries sent from the fields of battle but when I search for the surname "Shearing" there are umpteen government directives during WWI about sheep shearing and what to do to prevent "shearing" of metal.

A thought has occurred to me that if we can't find simple bits of paper how on earth does Santa find the right child ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rena

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 06 13:29 GMT (UK) »
sorry rena,i misread it,so your grandfather was pte 1063 john,david shearing of wisbech,cambridgeshire,would have been about 27 when the war started,his number is a prewar one,if this is your grandfather,then he didnt fight in the boer war,the only other medal that i can think of which you describe,is a territorial medal??roy [monsstar] who is on here is your best bet,hes a researcher at kew and hes the best and cheapest one i know,most soldiers records whos surname began with S,survived the bombing in ww2,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 06 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Manmack,

Go to the top of the class  ;D  His card looks like he was recruited 1911 to 1916 which would be when he was hospitalised in London for nearly a year due to mustard gas (according to grandma who visited & stayed in lodgings all arranged by the hospital almoner - wish I'd asked which hospital).

I've tried to follow the RAMC on various websites - but divisions and regiments disbanded, joined up and disbanded again I couldn't follow the movements.  I'd love to find a photo of him as a young man as I feel there should be at least a group photo but haven't even found where the Hull barracks were   :-\

I also tried to find which museum held the EYorks medals as I feel my uncle, his childless only son (also John David Shearing WWII - Palestine) or his wife would have donated them.

The Boer War apparently claimed 8 sons of my husband's 'WARD' ancestor but can I pinpoint them? Can I heck.  The family moved between Northumberland & Suffolk where the name is so common I haven't a cat's chance of finding even their birth records without it costing a small fortune  :-\   On the bonus side I've found two WWI WARD brothers deaths which is a consolation, especially as I have page 2 of Herbert's last letter written in pencil to his parents - nothing about the fighting just that the weather was awful.

Thanks for the monsstar tip - I'll probably contact after Xmas if not before.

Cheers,
Rena
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke