Author Topic: Missing from marriage register  (Read 802 times)

Offline flossy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Missing from marriage register
« on: Thursday 07 December 06 18:55 GMT (UK) »
         I have a few family marriages that I cannot find a record for.  One of these is my great grandparents. 

Unfortunatly I don't know where they were married  and have tried a number of place where I know they have lived.

I have my grandfathers birth cert'. He was born in Attercliff, near Sheffield.  On this cert' his father is named Frederick Percy Fothergill and his mother Lucy Ann Fothergill ( formerly Wolfe).  My mother has told me that her grandfather was known in the family as Percy, however on one of his daughters marriage certificates he has called himself Federick. I have found my g grandfather as a young man with his siblings on the 1891 census but what is puzzeling is that there are two sons, one named Percy and one named Frederick (I don't know which is my g grandfather. They are living at this time in blackheath hill, Greenwich, London. My g grandmother Lucy Ann Wolfe was born and grew up in Hillmorton, Warwickshire.

I have searched numerous sites for information on this marriage using all these names and places but have drawn a blank.

Can anyone help ?  Any suggestions

flossy

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing from marriage register
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 December 06 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1891 census my immediate thought was that Eliza might be a second wife.  She is much younger than Robert and to have a daughter aged 26 she would have been a child bride.  If that is so then it is possible that the names of the boys might be the same - each wife wanting to name a son after someone?   Just a thought but looking at the family in 1881 confirms that.  Eliza is 33 and the eldest son, Robert is 25.
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 December 06 19:30 GMT (UK) »
In 1901 Percy is an Iron moulder but Frederick is a pupil teacher.  Do you have any idea what your ancestor did?  What is his occupation on the birth certificate?
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 December 06 19:51 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 Robert is already married to Eliza but in 1861 his wife is Isabella.     She obviously dies, leaving him with William, Robert and Walter as young children (possibly Isabella too) and he remarries promptly.
Still, all this does not find the marriage of your gt grandparents for you!
I am assuming you have worked your way through the GRO index and cross checked every Fothergill and Wolfe marriage - with variant spellings.  When was their first child born?
Andrea

Offline flossy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrea,

Yes, you are correct, Robert was married twice.  but both Frederick and Percy were born to Eliza.

Offline flossy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 December 06 20:08 GMT (UK) »
     I am favouring the older son Frederick because he does state that he is an iron moulder on my grandfathers birth cert'

However, apart from changing his name he also changes his age on a regular basis ( just to make it more difficult for me)

I have search ed various BMD records and have had no luck with a marriage of Frederick/percy Fothergill and Lucy Ann Wolfe.