Author Topic: Burts of Kent  (Read 1091 times)

Offline doidydee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burts of Kent
« on: Friday 08 December 06 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking anyone tracing the Burt family of Dartford, Kent. My great grandfather was WILLIAM ABRAHAM BURT b 1869 Dartford (son of THOMAS BURT b 1837 East Grinstead, Sussex). He was the youngest of 6 children. I understand he fathered about 17 children, possibly by 2 wives? The eldest of these was AMY VICTORIA BURT b 1890 Bromley, I then have ANN, LUCY & LUSHANA all born Chiselhurst. It is believed there was a Fred who went to WW11 & didn't come back, he'd have been one of the youngest? As we are after the 1901 census I don't know what to do next? All advice/info very much appreciated. There must be some family out there somewhere? Doidy

Offline lindylou2_2002

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Burts of Kent
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 December 06 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I would 1st write down all that you know post 1901. You can use http://www.findmypast.com/HomeServlet which is a as you go births deaths and marriages. that go past 1901 to present day.
 Look for Burt's born in the area that you are interested in Chislehurst for example. Then see if the names that come back are familiar to your family. Also see if you can find a death for Williams 1st wife. and a subsequent marriage to the second one.
Unfortunately you would have to go through it 1/4 by 1/4.

Are you local as Bromley local record centre has a good amount of infomation that would cover the chislehurst area.
It really depends what you want to find out.
Hope this wasn't to patronizing as it wasn't meant in this way.
Also did you manage to Find Thomas Burt living in the 1901 Census withhis second wife in Dartford Kent. He aged slightly but am sure its the correct one.
he is 68 in the 1901 census
Good luck in your research
LON:Banks,Bennett,Cane,Diggins,Elsey,Fautley,Gotobed,Huckle,Hutson,Hywood,Lane,Monk,Owen,Pankhursts,Proud,Sigger/s,Stacey,Voller,Woods
Berk:White, Turner,Parsons
Beds:Channer
Camb:Claydon,Hazelwood,King, Claiden,Forman, Collins
Essex:Sigger/s,Cook
Hampshire: Voller
Kent: Busbridge,Fletcher,Fowtrell,Hall,Payne,Saunders,Souton
Norfolk:Gayford,Turner,Rush,Knight,Hammond
Somerset:Marshman
Surrey:Denyer,Monk
Sussex:Hill/s, Davey,Saunders
Wales:Walters

Offline doidydee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 December 06 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Many thanks for your reply. Not at all patronising, any help appreciated. Firstly I haven't got Thomas's second marriage in 1901, I don't have paid access, but if it were at all possible for you to send details I'd much appreciate it? I have looked at the free partial BMD indexes & been unable to find a definate death for Thoms, William or William's first wife or his second marriage? An aged aunt is sceptital re the marriage bit????????? I can see where you are coming from re checking quarters for William's children but Burt seems to be a very common name in the area, haven't yet been that desparate or had the time! I am so hoping one of the sites will turn up a desc of one of these so called 17 children? My cousin is coming later, will put all this to her. Sincere thanks.Happy New Year  Diana

Offline spongebob

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 06 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diana,

Can't see any obvious match for your FRED on the CWGC.

Matt
Charlewood - Ireland, Antrim, Liverpool, Leeds
MacDonald - Glasgow, Lanark
Young - Edinburgh
Douglass - Ireland, Antrim
Flisher - Sandgate, Lydd

Offline doidydee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 06 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for trying to help! what is CWGC you refer to please? Thanks Doidy

Offline lindylou2_2002

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 06 01:44 GMT (UK) »
if CWGC stands for Commonwealth war graves commision.

Sometimes it is best to go through it section by section. If you are hoping thatsomebody has done all the work for you you might be in for a long wait. It is a hobby that can take many years.

I have been doing this since 2000 and have only this year found out my grandfather had another marriage before my grandmother and he got together. He had children that I know nothing about. Because nobody spoke of them. It was only that I got the Marriage certificate of my Grandparents and it stated that he was divorced. But i just assumed that he married late as he was involved in WW1. So I guess cross those Ts and dot those Is is my real advice.

Join Genes Reunited if you haven't already done so it is around £9 for a year I have found it very useful.

Will look out the infomation on the census stuff I found the other day.

Happy new year to you.
LON:Banks,Bennett,Cane,Diggins,Elsey,Fautley,Gotobed,Huckle,Hutson,Hywood,Lane,Monk,Owen,Pankhursts,Proud,Sigger/s,Stacey,Voller,Woods
Berk:White, Turner,Parsons
Beds:Channer
Camb:Claydon,Hazelwood,King, Claiden,Forman, Collins
Essex:Sigger/s,Cook
Hampshire: Voller
Kent: Busbridge,Fletcher,Fowtrell,Hall,Payne,Saunders,Souton
Norfolk:Gayford,Turner,Rush,Knight,Hammond
Somerset:Marshman
Surrey:Denyer,Monk
Sussex:Hill/s, Davey,Saunders
Wales:Walters

Offline doidydee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 December 06 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for coming back! You will be pleased to know we joined g.R yesterday! My cous has been on the case for 30 odd years, admitedly concentrating more on another branch, but this lot have always appeared hard to get started with! Of reputedly 17 children we have only been able to find the birth of 2 children. My cous has even met one aunt years ago, but we can't find her???????????

Re the census stuff, thank you, we had already found that, but everything points to there only being one wife, BUT there was a HUGE variation on the spelling/variation of her christian name. Your help has been appreciated though. Thanks again Doidy & Christine.

/