Author Topic: Coroners Reports? Baby drowning!  (Read 1176 times)

coffeecup

Coroners Reports? Baby drowning!
« on: Friday 08 December 06 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Does anybody know if coroners records were archived and where would I start looking?

Got a death cert of Maria Mee age 2 at Lowton Lancs 1841, cause of death drowning.

Daughter of Alice Mee singlewoman. Informant is John Heyes Coroner of Prescot.

(further to earlier post 'Alice Mee & William Wright') I want to try to connect the mother Alice Mee to the Mee families at Lowton, but so far have have little to go on, I wonder if the report might give me some more address details? Clues? On the 1841 census Maria was at Pocket Nook Parr, but she died at Lowton. In 1842 mother Alice died back at Pocket Nook, her mother Ann Mee recorded it.

Any suggestions please where to find the coroner's report, assuming there was one?

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: Coroners Reports? Baby drowning!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 December 06 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Coffeecup

I think there have been a number of threads on this topics lately - a search should find them.

Not many coroners' records have survived - have a look at this link to see what is available from the National Archives: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search/quick_search.aspx?search_text=coroner&SearchButton.x=26&SearchButton.y=9

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

coffeecup

Re: Coroners Reports? Baby drowning!
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 December 06 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Bill,

I will certainly give the link a try. I'd be interested to see if anyone found theirs, so I'll have a search the posts in here too if that's recommended.

Best regards

Steph